Royston RFC chairman ‘honoured’ after England rugby legend takes up board role at club
- Credit: Archant
Royston RFC chairman Dafydd Hudd says the club feel honoured after England Rugby World Cup winner Will Greenwood joined the ranks as an honorary board member.
Greenwood’s arrival at the Crows has surfaced through the help of NatWest RugbyForce initiative – a grassroots partnership between the bank and England Rugby aiming to help clubs attract new members and become more sustainable.
New for 2016, clubs had the chance to see Greenwood join their club as an advisor, in addition to receiving grants of up to £2,000.
An exceptional number of clubs registered for NatWest RugbyForce this year with applications being received from across the country.
Selected due to the club’s forward-thinking plans, Royston RFC will receive a grant of £500 along with the opportunity to work with Greenwood, who will offer his support to the Hertfordshire-based club.
You may also want to watch:
Hudd told the Crow: “To have such a massive rugby star come in and help with our club development is a huge honour.
“It also means the RFU have faith in our club going forward and our plans for the future.
- 1 Barley Flower Tower to be cut into pieces!
- 2 14 Spitfires to take to the skies at IWM Duxford's 2021 Battle of Britain Air Show
- 3 Teacher raises more than £3,000 with charity run in mother's memory
- 4 Historic Mayflower train makes its way through Royston and Meldreth
- 5 New app allows passengers to order bus to virtual stops
- 6 Spitfires and more... IWM Duxford prepares for 2021 Battle of Britain Air Show
- 7 Get set for Strawberries & Creem Festival in the Cambridgeshire countryside
- 8 Mum of four sought by police over child neglect claims
- 9 Lack of public transport blamed for collapse of £10.5m training centre
- 10 Co-operation 'vital' in A505 Royston to Granta Park scheme
“We as a club have lots of work to do over the next season to ensure the development and growth of the club, with regards facilities and players, and with Will’s help I’m sure we can manage it.”
Greenwood, the former Harlequins and Leicester Tigers centre, will look to combine his experiences both on and off the pitch as he advises Royston RFC on growing the club and becoming more sustainable.
Greenwood said of his new role: “Joining Royston is a great opportunity for me to give back to grassroots level rugby, where it all begins for any rugby player.
“Royston’s application and enthusiasm for NatWest RugbyForce really stood out and I am thrilled to be a part of their next chapter.”
Royston are encouraging club members and volunteers to come together at a follow up to their NatWest RugbyForce Weekend event on Sunday, July 3, with Greenwood due to make an appearance.
The club plans to host a pitch up and play rugby fun event with the England legend.
Beyond the weekend event, Greenwood will be offering his support as Royston look to improve facilities for both players and supporters and develop a long-term plan to ensure the club continues to progress.