Royston racer keeps top spot
Exciting weekend for Bonfield
CALLUM Bonfield maintained his lead at the top of the Club 2000 Championship after an exciting day of racing at Red Lodge Karting on Saturday.
The Royston Racer, competing in the Rotax Mini Max Class, started Heat 1 from third on the grid. A good start saw Callum move up to second after the first corner and a lap later he passed leader Ryan Hawes to take the lead.
The 12-year-old Greneway schoolboy pulled out a good lead thereafter and crossed the line with a comfortable eight-second gap.
He started Heat 2 from second place on the grid and quickly found it difficult to pass rival Luke Pharoah who defended his position well for much of the race.
You may also want to watch:
Bonfield eventually edged his way past and showed great pace over the final two laps to win the race.
Heat 3 proved more straight forward as a good start from pole position was followed up with his third win of the day.
- 1 Hotel on Duxford IWM site given go-ahead after council re-vote
- 2 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
- 3 Motorhome and car involved in A505 crash
- 4 Defibrillators: How you could save a life
- 5 Hotel has everything you need for a relaxing staycation
- 6 Two lorry crash blocks part of A14 in Cambridgeshire
- 7 Mayor ‘wantonly diverted’ £40m of housing cash
- 8 Ski trip interest 'peaks' at Melbourn Village College
- 9 7 things to do, places to go and gift experiences for dad this Father's Day
- 10 PM set to announce postponement of lockdown easing today
His excellent performances put Callum onto pole for the final race of the day. What should have been fourth win turned into a two-kart battle with Bonfield and Pharoah battling for position at the front with Pharoah eventually passing Bonfield to take the lead.
Callum pushed hard and there was little between the pair but on the penultimate lap the he braked late coming into the first corner and found himself tangled on the back of the leader Pharoah’s kart.
With the pair of them halted on the inside of the bend, third-placed Lewis Kent took full advantage and passed cleanly through before the other two could free themselves.
Pharoah got away from the tangle first closely followed by Bonfield but Kent hade the race secured and crossed the line for the win followed by Pharoah and Bonfield respectively.