Royston racer claims first-ever Supercup podium finish
- Credit: Archant
Royston’s Jamie Goddard was ecstatic after claiming an “awesome” podium finish in only his third-ever British Racing & Sports Car Club (BRSCC) MX-5 Supercup Championship race.
Having qualified third on the grid, Goddard powered to second place and the fastest lap in the opening race, round six, at Zolder, Belgium.
The 24-year-old, who had no previous experience in racing before this season, could not replicate his first race heroics in round seven of the championship, finishing back in fifth but was still named driver of the event.
Goddard told the Crow: “We made a lot of set-up changes to the car in free practice and once we got it dialed in, we knew we were fast.
“I was close to the leaders for most of the first race and I managed to get a good line down the pit straight which forced an error from Tom Roche and I took second.
You may also want to watch:
“With a handful of laps to go it was all about staying on the leaders and I ended up crossing the line just 0.132 seconds behind the winner James Blake-Baldwin.
“To take second place in Europe on an unknown track in my first season of racing is awesome, I just connected with the car.”
- 1 Royston Kite Festival decision 'under review' as lockdown extended
- 2 Two lorry crash blocks part of A14 in Cambridgeshire
- 3 Mayor ‘wantonly diverted’ £40m of housing cash
- 4 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
- 5 Motorhome and car involved in A505 crash
- 6 Village leader awarded BEM for community centre build and more
- 7 Could you help preserve ponds in Reed?
- 8 Agricultural expert 'over the moon' with MBE
- 9 Community stalwart who led national effort to help navy veterans during pandemic receives BEM
- 10 Ski trip interest 'peaks' at Melbourn Village College
The MX-5 series is a single make championship using the Mk3 MX5 with modified suspension and brakes but limitations on engine modifications, which makes for extremely close and exciting racing.
The next round of the series will take place at Oulton Park, Cheshire, on June 25.