Royston power to victory
Royston Town Ladies 7 Saffron Walden Ladies 1 A FOUR goal blitz inside 10 minutes of the kick off saw Royston power their way to victory 7-1 and into the third qualifying round of the Women s FA Cup for the first time in their history. However within the
Royston Town Ladies 7
Saffron Walden Ladies 1
A FOUR goal blitz inside 10 minutes of the kick off saw Royston power their way to victory 7-1 and into the third qualifying round of the Women's FA Cup for the first time in their history.
However within the first minute the story could have been very different as in repeat of last week's error Royston keeper Amy Walker failed to deal with the back pass.
However the Walden player chose to pass the ball to her colleague who was in an offside position rather than shoot for goal
From the resulting free kick Jodie Scott outpaced the visitors to make it 1-0 and two minutes later she replicated the move for 2-0.
- 1 Former company boss fined after illegal waste dumped at quarry
- 2 Met Office weather: Yellow thunderstorm warning for East of England
- 3 William and Kate unveil their first official portrait at Fitzwilliam Museum
- 4 IN PICTURES: Wills and Kate visit Cambridgeshire's first County Day
- 5 Duke and Duchess of Cambridge arrive in Newmarket for Cambs County Day
- 6 Wanted burglar caught in Grafton Centre with 'hoard of stolen goods'
- 7 Bank of England warns people have 100 days to use old £20 and £50 notes
- 8 A505 long delays between Royston and M11 motorway at Duxford
- 9 Herts police officers shared rape 'jokes' and bestiality porn on WhatsApp
- 10 Pictures of Duxford Summer Air Show 2022 at IWM Duxford
Caroline Lambert got on the score sheet after eight minutes, and then Emma Chaffey hit a screamer from 20 yards to add the fourth.
Walden looked completely shell-shocked but to their credit battled away and increasingly put Royston's defence under pressure.
On 25 minutes home skipper Vicky Foulger failed to make what should have been a clearing header and with the rest of Town's defence glued to the spot Walden deservingly got one back.
They should have added a second just before half-time when Gemma Barlow conceded a penalty but the Walden spot kick sailed miles over the bar.
The second half saw Walden really take the game to Royston who looked increasingly uncomfortable at the back, and only a couple of good saves from Walker and a goal line chance from Marie Miller prevented the visitors getting the goal they deserved.
However, Royston finished the game just as they had started with three more goals in the space of 10 minutes.
First it was Scott who completed her hat-trick as she eventually managed to bundle the ball into the net.
Not to be outdone, Chaffey completed her hat-trick as first Leanne Buchannan put her in for her second, and then she produced another spectacular strike from outside the area to make it 7-1.