Royston power to victory
Royston Town Ladies 7 Saffron Walden Ladies 1 A FOUR goal blitz inside 10 minutes of the kick off saw Royston power their way to victory 7-1 and into the third qualifying round of the Women s FA Cup for the first time in their history. However within the
Royston Town Ladies 7
Saffron Walden Ladies 1
A FOUR goal blitz inside 10 minutes of the kick off saw Royston power their way to victory 7-1 and into the third qualifying round of the Women's FA Cup for the first time in their history.
However within the first minute the story could have been very different as in repeat of last week's error Royston keeper Amy Walker failed to deal with the back pass.
However the Walden player chose to pass the ball to her colleague who was in an offside position rather than shoot for goal
From the resulting free kick Jodie Scott outpaced the visitors to make it 1-0 and two minutes later she replicated the move for 2-0.
- 1 Teenage moped rider seriously injured in crash
- 2 Hero dog sniffs out cash for charity with golf ball mission
- 3 Stewart 'wasn't distressed and calmly answered questions' at scene of wife's death, paramedic tells court
- 4 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most desirable villages
- 5 Ian Stewart's sons say 'devastated father was in tears at wife's death'
- 6 Murder trial told Ian Stewart was 'so cross' after sister-in-law called coroner
- 7 Sir Tom Jones to play Heritage Live concert at Audley End House & Gardens in Saffron Walden
- 8 Herts, camera, action! Turning film fantasy into reality with new screen tourism development programme
- 9 Meet team behind new Royston Town Party
- 10 Ian Stewart murder trial: Killer 'restricted wife's breathing and fabricated epilepsy death'
Caroline Lambert got on the score sheet after eight minutes, and then Emma Chaffey hit a screamer from 20 yards to add the fourth.
Walden looked completely shell-shocked but to their credit battled away and increasingly put Royston's defence under pressure.
On 25 minutes home skipper Vicky Foulger failed to make what should have been a clearing header and with the rest of Town's defence glued to the spot Walden deservingly got one back.
They should have added a second just before half-time when Gemma Barlow conceded a penalty but the Walden spot kick sailed miles over the bar.
The second half saw Walden really take the game to Royston who looked increasingly uncomfortable at the back, and only a couple of good saves from Walker and a goal line chance from Marie Miller prevented the visitors getting the goal they deserved.
However, Royston finished the game just as they had started with three more goals in the space of 10 minutes.
First it was Scott who completed her hat-trick as she eventually managed to bundle the ball into the net.
Not to be outdone, Chaffey completed her hat-trick as first Leanne Buchannan put her in for her second, and then she produced another spectacular strike from outside the area to make it 7-1.