Royston men undone by Stortford
Royston Men I 3 Bishop s Stortford II 6 A TEN minute spell just before half time shaped the outcome of the match, and invented Royston s eventual demise. The away side controlled and outplayed the hosts for long periods and went two ahead with a dominatin
Royston Men I 3 Bishop's Stortford II 6
A TEN minute spell just before half time shaped the outcome of the match, and invented Royston's eventual demise.
The away side controlled and outplayed the hosts for long periods and went two ahead with a dominating performance. Further scoring opportunities were created by Royston but all were narrowly missed as Stortford remained on the back foot.
Royston however inexplicably fell apart, as a huge reversal of fortunes began.
You may also want to watch:
The visitors found themselves unable to keep possession, gifting the home side the ball in dangerous position which they took good advantage of.
Royston had soon conceded four goals and went into the break two behind.
- 1 Barley Flower Tower to be cut into pieces!
- 2 14 Spitfires to take to the skies at IWM Duxford's 2021 Battle of Britain Air Show
- 3 Teacher raises more than £3,000 with charity run in mother's memory
- 4 Historic Mayflower train makes its way through Royston and Meldreth
- 5 New app allows passengers to order bus to virtual stops
- 6 Get set for Strawberries & Creem Festival in the Cambridgeshire countryside
- 7 Spitfires and more... IWM Duxford prepares for 2021 Battle of Britain Air Show
- 8 Mum of four sought by police over child neglect claims
- 9 Lack of public transport blamed for collapse of £10.5m training centre
- 10 Camera to be installed in village to address long-standing speeding woes
With daylight between the teams Stortford were able to stay back and make it difficult for Royston and although getting a goal back the away side were hit with counterattacks as they pushed to get back into the match.
Goals were scored by Chris Welding and Nick Ross in the first half and Ralf Louwers at the end of the game.
Royston Men II 1 Bishop's Stortford IV 2
THE first match after over a month out saw a rusty Royston take on Stortford's fourth team.
A strong Stortford side who had already beaten Royston 2-0 at their place were again tough opponents.
Royston went down 2-1 with their only goal coming in the last minute when a cross from the right found Duncan Warner who slipped the ball into Neil Rogers to coolly slot home after beating one defender. It was too little too late.
Royston Men III 3 Vauxhall II 0
Royston were awarded a 3-0 victory in this match under league rules, due to a higher Vauxhall team failing to fulfill their fixture.
In place of the league game the sides played out a friendly that was won 3-1 by Vauxhall.
The highlight of the friendly match was a personal duel between Royston 'keeper Dan Orme and Vauxhall's star central midfielder.
Three times Orme denied the home player with exceptional saves, and when he finally managed to beat Orme it was only from the penalty spot.
Royston's goal came late in the match, Mike Parsons rounding off a sweeping passing move that had involved himself, Ed Hall, James Arnold and James Watkins.
Other games were cancelled or conceded.