Royston make Vase exit in extra-time
Royston Town 1 Wellingborough Town 3 FA Vase 1st round ROYSTON Town s hopes of a good run the FA Vase evaporated in extra-time against?Wellingborough Town at Garden Walk on Saturday. The game rarely provided enough excitement to keep the home fans warm i
Royston Town 1 Wellingborough Town 3
FA Vase 1st round
ROYSTON Town's hopes of a good run the FA Vase evaporated in extra-time against?Wellingborough Town at Garden Walk on Saturday.
The game rarely provided enough excitement to keep the home fans warm in the cold wind and in the end it was no surprise when Royston conceded two late goals and were turfed out of the competition.
You may also want to watch:
Neither side gave a good performance and after a dull and goalless first half it was the visitors who snatched the lead five minutes into the second period.
The game only got interesting in the final 10 minutes when the introduction of Ricky Young sparked the Crows into life and finally gave them a chance of salvaging the tie.
- 1 Malaysian-style Fens home leaves Grand Designs viewers in awe
- 2 CCTV appeal after vehicles interfered with in Royston
- 3 Royston man to stand trial for permitting production of cannabis
- 4 Heath threatened with 'eyesore' borehole kiosks
- 5 What's next for Thakeham development after Local Plan sites revealed?
- 6 Busy week for Royston firefighting crews as they keep people safe
- 7 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 8 Herts libraries service could be transferred to public service mutual
- 9 Street singers lift people's spirits with town centre flash mob
- 10 Chocks away! Phillips and Nunn bag Spitfire Salver at Heydon Grange Golf Club
As the game entered the final minute is was Young who pounced to score Royston's equaliser and send the game into extra-time, much to the delight of the home fans.
But the first period of extra-time saw Wellingborough Town take command and they went back in front 20 minutes into the period and from then on the Crows never looked like coming back.
Five minutes into the second period Wellingborough slammed the final nail in Royston's Vase coffin with their third goal.
"The game didn't go according to plan. To be honest we didn't wake up until the last 10 minutes," said Crows' assistant manager Duncan Easley.
"We never really got into the game and we are all pretty disappointed by the result.
"We played quite well in the first half but in the second half they came at us and it wasn't until the last 10 minutes that we got into the game.
"Then we lost it in extra-time which was very disappointing."
Royston: Williamson, Collins (Endacott), Cain, Babbage, Stephens (Jackson), Welch, Edwards, De Lacy, Lockett, Wright (Young), Robins.