Royston make Vase exit in extra-time
Royston Town 1 Wellingborough Town 3 FA Vase 1st round ROYSTON Town s hopes of a good run the FA Vase evaporated in extra-time against?Wellingborough Town at Garden Walk on Saturday. The game rarely provided enough excitement to keep the home fans warm i
Royston Town 1 Wellingborough Town 3
FA Vase 1st round
ROYSTON Town's hopes of a good run the FA Vase evaporated in extra-time against?Wellingborough Town at Garden Walk on Saturday.
The game rarely provided enough excitement to keep the home fans warm in the cold wind and in the end it was no surprise when Royston conceded two late goals and were turfed out of the competition.
Neither side gave a good performance and after a dull and goalless first half it was the visitors who snatched the lead five minutes into the second period.
The game only got interesting in the final 10 minutes when the introduction of Ricky Young sparked the Crows into life and finally gave them a chance of salvaging the tie.
- 1 Ian Stewart murder trial: Killer 'restricted wife's breathing and fabricated epilepsy death'
- 2 Murder trial told Ian Stewart was 'so cross' after sister-in-law called coroner
- 3 Meet team behind new Royston Town Party
- 4 Tiffinity and Beyond: Boost for Melbourn business thanks to former BBC Dragon
- 5 Plan B measures to be scrapped across England
- 6 Meet the couple who won holidays by the sea for a year
- 7 Women trapped in vehicle after A10 crash
- 8 He strangled Rikki, stripped him and left his body flat on his back, Old Bailey told
- 9 Trial begins for killer accused of murdering wife
- 10 Former heavyweight boxing champ to support hospice with charity dinner
As the game entered the final minute is was Young who pounced to score Royston's equaliser and send the game into extra-time, much to the delight of the home fans.
But the first period of extra-time saw Wellingborough Town take command and they went back in front 20 minutes into the period and from then on the Crows never looked like coming back.
Five minutes into the second period Wellingborough slammed the final nail in Royston's Vase coffin with their third goal.
"The game didn't go according to plan. To be honest we didn't wake up until the last 10 minutes," said Crows' assistant manager Duncan Easley.
"We never really got into the game and we are all pretty disappointed by the result.
"We played quite well in the first half but in the second half they came at us and it wasn't until the last 10 minutes that we got into the game.
"Then we lost it in extra-time which was very disappointing."
Royston: Williamson, Collins (Endacott), Cain, Babbage, Stephens (Jackson), Welch, Edwards, De Lacy, Lockett, Wright (Young), Robins.