Royston learn they’re down and out
ROYSTON Rugby Club this week got the news they were dreading – their first team are relegated. They lose their place in the Herts-Middlesex League Division Two following a tough season of highs and lows. It has taken several weeks for the league to confir
ROYSTON Rugby Club this week got the news they were dreading - their first team are relegated.
They lose their place in the Herts-Middlesex League Division Two following a tough season of highs and lows.
It has taken several weeks for the league to confirm Royston were down because of the need for other results to go in their favour.
When Old Streetonian became only the second team, after Royston, to beat Old Ashmoleans, Royston's plight was confirmed.
You may also want to watch:
Despite a dedicated year of captaincy from Kirk Woodford and the ever-present regulars providing the spine of the team, Royston were punished by injuries and a depleted squad.
Chairman Lloyd Mullenger said: "I would like to praise the efforts and hard work put in this season by the hardcore of the first team.
- 1 Villagers launch bid to raise £200,000 for 14th-century church paintings
- 2 CCTV appeal after vehicles interfered with in Royston
- 3 Heath threatened with 'eyesore' borehole kiosks
- 4 Royston man to stand trial for permitting production of cannabis
- 5 Street singers lift people's spirits with town centre flash mob
- 6 What's next for Thakeham development after Local Plan sites revealed?
- 7 King James Academy to continue as school sport hub for north east Hertfordshire
- 8 Busy week for Royston firefighting crews as they keep people safe
- 9 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 10 This Hound could run and and run... Sherlock Holmes play was 'a fun evening'
"We need to strengthen the squad and to stabilise its future.
"We have thriving youth and junior rugby sections and see many good players for the future but, short term, we have to meet the challenge of building a stronger and more successful first team."
The club's annual meeting will be held next Thursday at the Heath Sports Club, at 7.30pm.