Royston ladies win shoot-out to lift trophy
WORLD Cup fever seemed to inspire Royston Town Ladies FC when they powered their way to victory in the Cambs FA Women’s Festival held at Impington on Sunday.
The group stages saw Town in a rich vein of form as they won three and drew one to book their place in the semi-final.
Histon were their opponents in what proved to be a tight game which ended 0-0. Royston held their nerve in the penalty shoot-out with Emma Chaffey saving three of the Histon penalties while Leanne Buchannan, Hannah Mardell, Sharon Pinner and Gemma Barlow converted for the Town.
In the final, Royston faced Long Road and had the chance to avenge their earlier 1-0 defeat in the group stages.
Royston upped their game and were unlucky not to have won the contest in normal time but after a 0-0 draw the team went into their second penalty shoot-out of the day.
You may also want to watch:
They eventually won 4-3 with Buchannan, Pinner, Chaffey and Barlow all on target to take the title and seal an excellent day for the team.
Royston Town Ladies: Turl, Barlow, Mardell, Pinner, Chaffey (Coach), Webster, Miller, Ratty, Chaffey, Buchannan.
- 1 New bus and cycle shelters to help bring sustainable travel to town
- 2 Yellow weather warning of thunderstorms in Herts
- 3 Two lorry crash blocks part of A14 in Cambridgeshire
- 4 Labour organiser criticises Labour mayor for hiring a Tory as deputy
- 5 Royston Kite Festival decision 'under review' as lockdown extended
- 6 Bassingbourn reverse trend of losses at Helions Bumpstead with fine win
- 7 Freedom Day: More than half of Herts residents welcome delay to lockdown easing
- 8 Defibrillators: How you could save a life
- 9 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
- 10 MBE is an incredible honour, says Lister nurse Lizzie