Royston ladies win shoot-out to lift trophy
WORLD Cup fever seemed to inspire Royston Town Ladies FC when they powered their way to victory in the Cambs FA Women’s Festival held at Impington on Sunday.
The group stages saw Town in a rich vein of form as they won three and drew one to book their place in the semi-final.
Histon were their opponents in what proved to be a tight game which ended 0-0. Royston held their nerve in the penalty shoot-out with Emma Chaffey saving three of the Histon penalties while Leanne Buchannan, Hannah Mardell, Sharon Pinner and Gemma Barlow converted for the Town.
In the final, Royston faced Long Road and had the chance to avenge their earlier 1-0 defeat in the group stages.
Royston upped their game and were unlucky not to have won the contest in normal time but after a 0-0 draw the team went into their second penalty shoot-out of the day.
You may also want to watch:
They eventually won 4-3 with Buchannan, Pinner, Chaffey and Barlow all on target to take the title and seal an excellent day for the team.
Royston Town Ladies: Turl, Barlow, Mardell, Pinner, Chaffey (Coach), Webster, Miller, Ratty, Chaffey, Buchannan.
- 1 Lack of public transport blamed for collapse of £10.5m training centre
- 2 New app allows passengers to order bus to virtual stops
- 3 Teacher raises more than £3,000 with charity run in mother's memory
- 4 Cambs and Essex academy trust wins prestigious award
- 5 Spitfires and more... IWM Duxford prepares for 2021 Battle of Britain Air Show
- 6 Camera to be installed in village to address long-standing speeding woes
- 7 Get set for Strawberries & Creem Festival in the Cambridgeshire countryside
- 8 Hospitality Action Day: Some of your favourite local pubs, restaurants and cafés
- 9 Village school's annual fayre is a big hit
- 10 Wellbeing gardens opened at Lister in memory of much-loved colleague Marilyn