Royston ladies win shoot-out to lift trophy
WORLD Cup fever seemed to inspire Royston Town Ladies FC when they powered their way to victory in the Cambs FA Women’s Festival held at Impington on Sunday.
The group stages saw Town in a rich vein of form as they won three and drew one to book their place in the semi-final.
Histon were their opponents in what proved to be a tight game which ended 0-0. Royston held their nerve in the penalty shoot-out with Emma Chaffey saving three of the Histon penalties while Leanne Buchannan, Hannah Mardell, Sharon Pinner and Gemma Barlow converted for the Town.
In the final, Royston faced Long Road and had the chance to avenge their earlier 1-0 defeat in the group stages.
Royston upped their game and were unlucky not to have won the contest in normal time but after a 0-0 draw the team went into their second penalty shoot-out of the day.
They eventually won 4-3 with Buchannan, Pinner, Chaffey and Barlow all on target to take the title and seal an excellent day for the team.
Royston Town Ladies: Turl, Barlow, Mardell, Pinner, Chaffey (Coach), Webster, Miller, Ratty, Chaffey, Buchannan.
- 1 Teenage moped rider seriously injured in crash
- 2 Hero dog sniffs out cash for charity with golf ball mission
- 3 Stewart 'wasn't distressed and calmly answered questions' at scene of wife's death, paramedic tells court
- 4 Ian Stewart's sons say 'devastated father was in tears at wife's death'
- 5 Murder trial told Ian Stewart was 'so cross' after sister-in-law called coroner
- 6 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most desirable villages
- 7 Herts, camera, action! Turning film fantasy into reality with new screen tourism development programme
- 8 Sir Tom Jones to play Heritage Live concert at Audley End House & Gardens in Saffron Walden
- 9 Meet team behind new Royston Town Party
- 10 Trial begins for killer accused of murdering wife