Royston Ladies win promotion
ROYSTON Tennis Club's ladies' team have secured promotion to Division Two. Good performances by Pru Burton, Christine Knight, Kathy Betts and Karin Lambert handed Royston a 6-2 win over Burwell Victory in the winter league and the away victory handed the
ROYSTON Tennis Club's ladies' team have secured promotion to division two.
Good performances by Pru Burton, Christine Knight, Kathy Betts and Karin Lambert handed Royston a 6-2 win over Burwell Victory in the winter league and the away victory handed the team at least second place in division three with only two promotion places up for grabs.
The only team which can beat them to the title - Exning - will have to win all of their three remaining games to do so.
The men's first team won convincingly 7-1 away to Great Shelford while the men's second team notched up a 6-2 win at home to Comberton.
The club's mixed first team came up against a strong St Neots first team, and despite many deuce games lost 7-1.
Meanwhile, the club has been handed trophies for their success in the 2007-08 winter league.
- 1 Fine issued after rubbish fly-tipped in country lane
- 2 Man sentenced for handling stolen goods - including designer watch, clothes and laptop
- 3 Goalkeeper with incurable brain tumour overwhelmed by fundraiser response
- 4 Cyclist in hospital with life-threatening injuries after crash
- 5 MPs remain silent on whether they have confidence in PM
- 6 Royston Golf Club donates £1,000 to hospice
- 7 New cops truck catches out law-breaking drivers in successful week
- 8 Bank cards, electrical items and jewellery stolen in burglary
- 9 Ian Stewart 'appeared odd' at wife Diane's funeral, court hears
- 10 Drug dealer jailed after being found with heroin and crack cocaine
Chairman Ralph Betts and secretary Christine Knight received the trophies on behalf of the club from the Cambridgeshire Lawn Tennis Association.
Last year the club won the ladies' doubles, men's doubles and mixed doubles divisional trophies.
The club was also presented with the tubes of Slazenger match balls.