Royston Ladies win promotion
ROYSTON Tennis Club's ladies' team have secured promotion to Division Two. Good performances by Pru Burton, Christine Knight, Kathy Betts and Karin Lambert handed Royston a 6-2 win over Burwell Victory in the winter league and the away victory handed the
ROYSTON Tennis Club's ladies' team have secured promotion to division two.
Good performances by Pru Burton, Christine Knight, Kathy Betts and Karin Lambert handed Royston a 6-2 win over Burwell Victory in the winter league and the away victory handed the team at least second place in division three with only two promotion places up for grabs.
The only team which can beat them to the title - Exning - will have to win all of their three remaining games to do so.
The men's first team won convincingly 7-1 away to Great Shelford while the men's second team notched up a 6-2 win at home to Comberton.
The club's mixed first team came up against a strong St Neots first team, and despite many deuce games lost 7-1.
Meanwhile, the club has been handed trophies for their success in the 2007-08 winter league.
- 1 How to see the last supermoon of the year this weekend
- 2 Let's go fly a kite as festival returns after two years
- 3 Where you can see the Perseid meteor shower in Hertfordshire
- 4 MP hosts gathering for Ukrainian refugees
- 5 Everything you need to know about the August train driver strike
- 6 One of a kind Second World War aircraft to fly in historic flypast at IWM Duxford’s Battle of Britain Air Show 2022
- 7 Biggest 'shooting star' meteor shower to peak this week
- 8 20 Ukrainian medical students begin placements at Addenbrooke’s
- 9 Meet Hertfordshire's Birmingham 2022 medal winners
- 10 Hertfordshire 'extreme heat' amber warning as temperature set to soar
Chairman Ralph Betts and secretary Christine Knight received the trophies on behalf of the club from the Cambridgeshire Lawn Tennis Association.
Last year the club won the ladies' doubles, men's doubles and mixed doubles divisional trophies.
The club was also presented with the tubes of Slazenger match balls.