Royston Ladies win promotion
ROYSTON Tennis Club's ladies' team have secured promotion to Division Two. Good performances by Pru Burton, Christine Knight, Kathy Betts and Karin Lambert handed Royston a 6-2 win over Burwell Victory in the winter league and the away victory handed the
ROYSTON Tennis Club's ladies' team have secured promotion to division two.
Good performances by Pru Burton, Christine Knight, Kathy Betts and Karin Lambert handed Royston a 6-2 win over Burwell Victory in the winter league and the away victory handed the team at least second place in division three with only two promotion places up for grabs.
The only team which can beat them to the title - Exning - will have to win all of their three remaining games to do so.
The men's first team won convincingly 7-1 away to Great Shelford while the men's second team notched up a 6-2 win at home to Comberton.
You may also want to watch:
The club's mixed first team came up against a strong St Neots first team, and despite many deuce games lost 7-1.
Meanwhile, the club has been handed trophies for their success in the 2007-08 winter league.
- 1 Man jailed after attacking victim with glass bottle in hotel room
- 2 'If I lived three miles away the obstacles would've been lower' - Councillor calls for IVF to be reinstated in Cambs
- 3 Flasher who attacked officers appears in court
- 4 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
- 5 Have you seen missing parrot Charlie?
- 6 Students' work featured in online art exhibition
- 7 Motorhome and car involved in A505 crash
- 8 New bus and cycle shelters to help bring sustainable travel to town
- 9 Plenty of Covid vaccines available for over 23s
- 10 Bassingbourn reverse trend of losses at Helions Bumpstead with fine win
Chairman Ralph Betts and secretary Christine Knight received the trophies on behalf of the club from the Cambridgeshire Lawn Tennis Association.
Last year the club won the ladies' doubles, men's doubles and mixed doubles divisional trophies.
The club was also presented with the tubes of Slazenger match balls.