Royston Ladies Rugby Club 91-0 St Neots: Massacre on the heath
- Credit: Archant
Royston Ladies Rugby Club mauled St Neots Ladies 91-0 on the heath at the weekend.
The ladies made it four consecutive wins on the bounce on Sunday as a full strength side made short work of the visitors.
It was a triumphant two days all-round for the club after the men’s side beat Actonians 21-15 in a hard-fought game on Saturday in Herts Middlesex league 1 in wet and muddy conditions.
But it was the strong side the ladies fielded that grabbed the headlines to bring the club home triumphant with a win double.
The team were quickly away with Vic Hulstrom placing the ball over the St Neots try line in just two minutes. Royston then followed up with a second try moments later from Number 8 Robyn Allen scoring again on four minutes.
Discipline was Roystons biggest adversary on the pitch as the ladies gave away a lot of penalties to the St Neots side mostly due to positioning in the rucks.
However, St Neots failed to capitalise on the opportunities Royston gave them and the ladies were able to hold St Neots to a nil scoring defeat as 15 tries were scored by the time the final whistle blew.
- 1 Ian Stewart's sons say 'devastated father was in tears at wife's death'
- 2 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most desirable villages
- 3 Murder trial told Ian Stewart was 'so cross' after sister-in-law called coroner
- 4 Ian Stewart murder trial: Killer 'restricted wife's breathing and fabricated epilepsy death'
- 5 Meet team behind new Royston Town Party
- 6 Tiffinity and Beyond: Boost for Melbourn business thanks to former BBC Dragon
- 7 Council leader pledges 'we'll hold This Land to account'
- 8 Former heavyweight boxing champ to support hospice with charity dinner
- 9 Women trapped in vehicle after A10 crash
- 10 How are England's Covid restrictions changing after Plan B?
The tries were scored through Rebekah Nolan, who grabbed four while Jaz Devereux notched a treble with Hannah Mathers and Beth Fletcher picking up two a piece.
Vice captain Beth Tobutt added to the score as scrum-half Rachel Wenn marked the rout with her first league try.
Royston ladies head coach Lee Fleming said afterwards: “I am very proud of all our ladies.
“They’ve all come so far since we started two years ago. Now we will be putting all our efforts into winning against Towcester.
“The ladies know we’re coming back with the win or I’ll be a grumpy old man”
Royston Ladies are set to travel to promotion contenders Towcester on Sunday, February 18.