Royston Ladies keep top spot with hard-fought win at Welwyn
- Credit: Archant
Royston Ladies moved top of the Women’s National Conference South-East East Three table thanks to a hard-fought 31-21 win at Welwyn.
They are four points clear of Bishop’s Stortford, who suffered a tough loss to Towcester, although they have played a game more.
And it is the side from Northamptonshire who are the more likely to top the tree at the end of the season with eight wins from eight and four games left.
Royston have just one match remaining, a trip to Basildon on April 8, but in this penultimate match-up they took an early lead.
But Welwyn came back well, capitalising on poor ball handling and scrappy defensive lines.
And it was only late on that Royston pulled together as one and pulled out some classic, tight teamwork that took them strongly over the line in the final phase.
Centre Jaz Devereux added a well-earned final conversion to close out the game and the win.
- 1 Stewart 'wasn't distressed and calmly answered questions' at scene of wife's death, paramedic tells court
- 2 Ian Stewart's sons say 'devastated father was in tears at wife's death'
- 3 Teenage moped rider seriously injured in crash
- 4 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most desirable villages
- 5 Hero dog sniffs out cash for charity with golf ball mission
- 6 Sir Tom Jones to play Heritage Live concert at Audley End House & Gardens in Saffron Walden
- 7 Murder trial told Ian Stewart was 'so cross' after sister-in-law called coroner
- 8 Ian Stewart murder trial: Killer 'restricted wife's breathing and fabricated epilepsy death'
- 9 Meet team behind new Royston Town Party
- 10 Council leader pledges 'we'll hold This Land to account'