Royston Ladies keep top spot with hard-fought win at Welwyn
- Credit: Archant
Royston Ladies moved top of the Women’s National Conference South-East East Three table thanks to a hard-fought 31-21 win at Welwyn.
They are four points clear of Bishop’s Stortford, who suffered a tough loss to Towcester, although they have played a game more.
And it is the side from Northamptonshire who are the more likely to top the tree at the end of the season with eight wins from eight and four games left.
Royston have just one match remaining, a trip to Basildon on April 8, but in this penultimate match-up they took an early lead.
But Welwyn came back well, capitalising on poor ball handling and scrappy defensive lines.
You may also want to watch:
And it was only late on that Royston pulled together as one and pulled out some classic, tight teamwork that took them strongly over the line in the final phase.
Centre Jaz Devereux added a well-earned final conversion to close out the game and the win.
- 1 Lack of public transport blamed for collapse of £10.5m training centre
- 2 New app allows passengers to order bus to virtual stops
- 3 Teacher raises more than £3,000 with charity run in mother's memory
- 4 Spitfires and more... IWM Duxford prepares for 2021 Battle of Britain Air Show
- 5 Cambs and Essex academy trust wins prestigious award
- 6 Camera to be installed in village to address long-standing speeding woes
- 7 Get set for Strawberries & Creem Festival in the Cambridgeshire countryside
- 8 Hospitality Action Day: Some of your favourite local pubs, restaurants and cafés
- 9 Co-operation 'vital' in A505 Royston to Granta Park scheme
- 10 Exploring the medieval graffiti of North Herts' historic churches