Royston Ladies keep top spot with hard-fought win at Welwyn
- Credit: Archant
Royston Ladies moved top of the Women’s National Conference South-East East Three table thanks to a hard-fought 31-21 win at Welwyn.
They are four points clear of Bishop’s Stortford, who suffered a tough loss to Towcester, although they have played a game more.
And it is the side from Northamptonshire who are the more likely to top the tree at the end of the season with eight wins from eight and four games left.
Royston have just one match remaining, a trip to Basildon on April 8, but in this penultimate match-up they took an early lead.
But Welwyn came back well, capitalising on poor ball handling and scrappy defensive lines.
You may also want to watch:
And it was only late on that Royston pulled together as one and pulled out some classic, tight teamwork that took them strongly over the line in the final phase.
Centre Jaz Devereux added a well-earned final conversion to close out the game and the win.
- 1 Flasher who attacked officers appears in court
- 2 Students' work featured in online art exhibition
- 3 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
- 4 Have you seen missing parrot Charlie?
- 5 New bus and cycle shelters to help bring sustainable travel to town
- 6 Eight picture-perfect picnic spots across East Anglia
- 7 Bassingbourn reverse trend of losses at Helions Bumpstead with fine win
- 8 Motorhome and car involved in A505 crash
- 9 Freedom Day: More than half of Herts residents welcome delay to lockdown easing
- 10 Royston arson: Police renew appeal after flats fire