Royston Ladies 2nds are champions
- Credit: Archant
Royston Ladies 2nds are champions of the Five Counties Hockey League Division Three with two matches still to play.
They went into Saturday’s game with West Herts knowing a win or draw would hand them the title; they triumphed 2-0 to confirm their dominance of this league.
Two first half goals from Wendy Holt and Abbey Jones secured the win.
After the game captain Martine Powley said: “We have played 16, won 16, scored 100 goals and only conceded nine.
“This is a true team performance. Everyone has done their jobs and with style.
You may also want to watch:
“We still have two league games left and, whilst we have won the league, I know we will not be happy until we have won these last games.”
Elsewhere in the club, the men’s 1sts led 1-0 at the break after Nathan Sugden scored at Luton.
- 1 Barley Flower Tower to be cut into pieces!
- 2 14 Spitfires to take to the skies at IWM Duxford's 2021 Battle of Britain Air Show
- 3 Spitfires and more... IWM Duxford prepares for 2021 Battle of Britain Air Show
- 4 Get set for Strawberries & Creem Festival in the Cambridgeshire countryside
- 5 New app allows passengers to order bus to virtual stops
- 6 Teacher raises more than £3,000 with charity run in mother's memory
- 7 Lack of public transport blamed for collapse of £10.5m training centre
- 8 Camera to be installed in village to address long-standing speeding woes
- 9 Wellbeing gardens opened at Lister in memory of much-loved colleague Marilyn
- 10 Mum of four sought by police over child neglect claims
However, three second half goals won the game for the hosts.
The men’s 2nds were beaten 3-0 away to Division 4SW leaders Vauxhall.
Luton Vagrants secured a 3-1 win over the men’s 3rds who scored through Paul Visagie.
The 4ths had a tough test against unbeaten leaders Broxbourne 4ths and were undone 4-1, despite Colin Bateman putting them ahead early on.
Ali Carroll hit a brace for the ladies 1sts in their 4-1 triumph over Alford & District, Sarah Buckerfield and Vicki Bidwell were also on the scoresheet.
The 3rds managed a fine result in defeating previously unbeaten leaders Bedsford 4ths 2-1.
Bedford took the lead, however Murrun Spencer, in her first game for the 3rds, levelled.
Royston, who would have settled for a point, were in dreamland as Gill Richardson put them ahead.
They then withstood some pressure before celebrating a superb win at the final whistle.