Royston Ladies 2nds are champions
- Credit: Archant
Royston Ladies 2nds are champions of the Five Counties Hockey League Division Three with two matches still to play.
They went into Saturday’s game with West Herts knowing a win or draw would hand them the title; they triumphed 2-0 to confirm their dominance of this league.
Two first half goals from Wendy Holt and Abbey Jones secured the win.
After the game captain Martine Powley said: “We have played 16, won 16, scored 100 goals and only conceded nine.
“This is a true team performance. Everyone has done their jobs and with style.
You may also want to watch:
“We still have two league games left and, whilst we have won the league, I know we will not be happy until we have won these last games.”
Elsewhere in the club, the men’s 1sts led 1-0 at the break after Nathan Sugden scored at Luton.
- 1 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
- 2 Motorhome and car involved in A505 crash
- 3 Hotel on Duxford IWM site given go-ahead after council re-vote
- 4 Ski trip interest 'peaks' at Melbourn Village College
- 5 Do you think 'Freedom Day' should go ahead on June 21?
- 6 Royston arson: Police renew appeal after flats fire
- 7 Have you visited the Orwell Clunch Pit? New sign tells of unique site's significance
- 8 How do North East Herts and South Cambs fare in the latest boundary review proposals?
- 9 Flying day at IWM Duxford commemorates 77th anniversary of D-Day
- 10 Outstanding day had by all at Streetfood Heroes event
However, three second half goals won the game for the hosts.
The men’s 2nds were beaten 3-0 away to Division 4SW leaders Vauxhall.
Luton Vagrants secured a 3-1 win over the men’s 3rds who scored through Paul Visagie.
The 4ths had a tough test against unbeaten leaders Broxbourne 4ths and were undone 4-1, despite Colin Bateman putting them ahead early on.
Ali Carroll hit a brace for the ladies 1sts in their 4-1 triumph over Alford & District, Sarah Buckerfield and Vicki Bidwell were also on the scoresheet.
The 3rds managed a fine result in defeating previously unbeaten leaders Bedsford 4ths 2-1.
Bedford took the lead, however Murrun Spencer, in her first game for the 3rds, levelled.
Royston, who would have settled for a point, were in dreamland as Gill Richardson put them ahead.
They then withstood some pressure before celebrating a superb win at the final whistle.