Royston Kung Fu instructor awarded Master status
GLEN Stanway, who runs the GMax Kung Fu and Kickboxing Academy in Royston, was recently made a Master of Northern Shaolin Wushu, by his Chinese martial arts Master, Mr Teng Wie Yoo.
Mr Teng has been a Master of Chinese kung fu since 1979, and has taught many respected International champions. Stanway, 40, took up martial arts and gymnastics training in 1995 in order to recover from injuries received in a car accident.
He has been a student of Master Teng since 1997, and has trained many times at the Northern Shaolin Chin Woo Wushu Centre in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, learning open hand, weapon and Tai Chi routines.
Glen went on to compete in many competitions winning gold medals in the Combat Magazine International Open, IMAF World Forms Championships, Combat Magazine European Open, and BCCMA SE England Kung Fu Championships. GMax Kickboxing students have now started competing, recently winning silver medals in the Cimac Superleague, and WAKO Cimac British Kickboxing Championships.
You may also want to watch:
Master Teng was particularly pleased when Stanway set up the GMax Academy in Royston two years ago, and asked him to be an official representative of Northern Shaolin Chin Woo in the UK.
In January this year, Stanway published his book, “The Art of Coaching”, to pass on his knowledge to participants of sports other than martial arts.
- 1 Lack of public transport blamed for collapse of £10.5m training centre
- 2 New app allows passengers to order bus to virtual stops
- 3 Teacher raises more than £3,000 with charity run in mother's memory
- 4 Spitfires and more... IWM Duxford prepares for 2021 Battle of Britain Air Show
- 5 Cambs and Essex academy trust wins prestigious award
- 6 Camera to be installed in village to address long-standing speeding woes
- 7 Get set for Strawberries & Creem Festival in the Cambridgeshire countryside
- 8 Hospitality Action Day: Some of your favourite local pubs, restaurants and cafés
- 9 Co-operation 'vital' in A505 Royston to Granta Park scheme
- 10 Exploring the medieval graffiti of North Herts' historic churches
In recognition of Glen’s hard work and accumulation of knowledge over the years, Master Teng has awarded him Fifth Dan status, Master Teng himself being an Eighth Dan.
Stanway admitted he is proud of his achievement, and said: “It is an incredible privilege and honour to receive this title from my Master. He is an enormous inspiration to me, and I am very proud that I have been his student for so many years.”
He hopes to organise fund-raising events over the next few months to help pay to bring Master Teng to the UK so students here can experience training with a renowned and respected Chinese martial arts master.
GMax teaches Kung Fu and Kickboxing classes in Royston, for children and adults. For further details, please visit the website gmax.me.uk or call Glen on 07563 755 199.