Royston hold Schools Tournament
ROYSTON Tennis Club held the 2012 Schools tournament finals last week.
Nine schools took part – Roman Way, Tannery Drift and Reed were knocked out in the early rounds. Icknield Walk, Icknield Walk B team, Studlands, Roger De Clare, Layston and Jenyns got through to the final with Roger De Clare winning in a closely-fought competition. Icknield Walk took second place. The county final will be held on the June 28 at the University of Herts.
The blub also held a Grade 5 open tournament where Gareth Byles beat Edward Sclare in the final of the U14 section 6-2, 6-1 while Euan Rees beat Lewis Wood 6-0, 6-1.
In the Summer League matches the men’s first team made it an impressive run of five straight wins to guarantee promotion to Division Three with two matches still to go. Likewise the Men’s IIIs also excelled with six wins and will gain promotion to Division Nine. Their last match away to Saffron Walden V resulted in an 8-0 win with team players David Addison Roger Maybury, Jeremy Tuck and Toby Jackson.
The Men’s IIs drew away to Huntingdon IVs with team members Erwin Phillips, John Goodbody, Lewis Harley and John Holmes. They then won 5-3 away to Cocks & Hens IVs with Isaac Pickett and David Addison replacing the two Johns.
The Men’s IVs, not to be outdone, clocked up five wins in a row with Steve Gibson, Russell Hollingshead, Ben Place and Doug Higgins scoring an 8-0 win over St Neots IVs away.
- 1 Fowlmere residents voice objections to housing development
- 2 School to make 'wide-ranging changes' following Ofsted inspection
- 3 Kite Festival set to return to Royston next month
- 4 Tesco Community Garden to hold weekend celebration
- 5 Citizens Advice: What to do if you have issues with delayed or cancelled flights
- 6 Chancellor and health secretary dramatically quit
- 7 Herts sex offender assaulted victim while she slept
- 8 Health at the Hub project launched in Melbourn
- 9 7 of the most beautiful churches in Hertfordshire
- 10 How to check if your travel insurance covers airport strike delays
The Ladies first team are finding the First division too strong for them and lost the last two matches 8-0 away to David Lloyd and St Neots with a team of Pru Burton, Kathy Betts, Sally Muddiman, Annabel Barrett and Christine Knight.
The ladies IIs beat Cocks & Hens IIs at home 7-1 with Emma Daintrey, Sally Muddiman, Vicky Hawkins and Della Gibson. The Ladies IIIs of Jo Rees Emily Griffin Yvonne Rogers and Ros Godward drew away to Saffron Walden Vs.
For full details of all matches, results, events & club membership long onto the club website at www.roystontennis.co.uk