Royston Hockey Club Round-up: Wins for men’s 2nds and ladies’ first team
- Credit: Archant
There were two wins and two defeats for Royston Hockey Club’s teams last weekend.
With the mens’ 3rds and ladies’ 2nds, 3rds and 4ths taking a week off, only four of the club’s teams were in action.
The mens’ first team suffered a third straight defeat, following a 3-0 reverse at Stevenage’s first team.
The 2nds made amends for the first team’s loss, as they beat winless Harpenden 3rds 2-1.
It was the visitors who took an early lead as a angled cross deflected beyond keeper Chris Markham.
Carl Taylor got his side back on level terms shortly after though.
Supplied by Graham Johnson-Mack, Taylor steamed towards goal and unleashed a powerful effort into the net.
- 1 Where you can see the Perseid meteor shower in Hertfordshire
- 2 One of a kind Second World War aircraft to fly in historic flypast at IWM Duxford’s Battle of Britain Air Show 2022
- 3 Let's go fly a kite as festival returns after two years
- 4 MP hosts gathering for Ukrainian refugees
- 5 How to see the last supermoon of the year this weekend
- 6 Firefighters tackle large blaze in field in Guilden Morden
- 7 Men's health champion receives funding boost from Ashwell Masonic Lodge
- 8 Biggest 'shooting star' meteor shower to peak this week
- 9 Everything you need to know about the August train driver strike
- 10 20 Ukrainian medical students begin placements at Addenbrooke’s
Darren Hicks then put Royston in front after steering the ball home from 10 yards and the hosts held out for their fourth win of the season.
There was no luck for the men’s 4ths who lost 2-0 at home to Cheshunt 3rds.
Royston ladies’ first team were the only females in action and they continued their promotion push with a 4-2 away win at mid-table Potters Bar’s first team.
Sophie Gathercole’s hat-trick and another from Sarah Buckerfield secured victory six of the season.