Royston Hockey Club Round-up: Wins for men’s 2nds and ladies’ first team
- Credit: Archant
There were two wins and two defeats for Royston Hockey Club’s teams last weekend.
With the mens’ 3rds and ladies’ 2nds, 3rds and 4ths taking a week off, only four of the club’s teams were in action.
The mens’ first team suffered a third straight defeat, following a 3-0 reverse at Stevenage’s first team.
The 2nds made amends for the first team’s loss, as they beat winless Harpenden 3rds 2-1.
It was the visitors who took an early lead as a angled cross deflected beyond keeper Chris Markham.
Carl Taylor got his side back on level terms shortly after though.
Supplied by Graham Johnson-Mack, Taylor steamed towards goal and unleashed a powerful effort into the net.
- 1 Fine issued after rubbish fly-tipped in country lane
- 2 Man sentenced for handling stolen goods - including designer watch, clothes and laptop
- 3 Goalkeeper with incurable brain tumour overwhelmed by fundraiser response
- 4 Cyclist in hospital with life-threatening injuries after crash
- 5 Royston Golf Club donates £1,000 to hospice
- 6 Ian Stewart 'appeared odd' at wife Diane's funeral, court hears
- 7 New cops truck catches out law-breaking drivers in successful week
- 8 Bank cards, electrical items and jewellery stolen in burglary
- 9 MPs remain silent on whether they have confidence in PM
- 10 Drug dealer jailed after being found with heroin and crack cocaine
Darren Hicks then put Royston in front after steering the ball home from 10 yards and the hosts held out for their fourth win of the season.
There was no luck for the men’s 4ths who lost 2-0 at home to Cheshunt 3rds.
Royston ladies’ first team were the only females in action and they continued their promotion push with a 4-2 away win at mid-table Potters Bar’s first team.
Sophie Gathercole’s hat-trick and another from Sarah Buckerfield secured victory six of the season.