Royston Hockey Club Round-up: Wins for men’s 2nds and ladies’ first team
- Credit: Archant
There were two wins and two defeats for Royston Hockey Club’s teams last weekend.
With the mens’ 3rds and ladies’ 2nds, 3rds and 4ths taking a week off, only four of the club’s teams were in action.
The mens’ first team suffered a third straight defeat, following a 3-0 reverse at Stevenage’s first team.
The 2nds made amends for the first team’s loss, as they beat winless Harpenden 3rds 2-1.
It was the visitors who took an early lead as a angled cross deflected beyond keeper Chris Markham.
You may also want to watch:
Carl Taylor got his side back on level terms shortly after though.
Supplied by Graham Johnson-Mack, Taylor steamed towards goal and unleashed a powerful effort into the net.
- 1 'Panic-buying is crippling us' - petrol station owner urges motorists to think before they refuel
- 2 Appeal to trace driver after cyclist sustains serious injuries in crash
- 3 17 of the prettiest streets in North Herts
- 4 North Herts and Beds villages hit by power cut
- 5 Flexi parking ticket rolled out for hybrid commuters
- 6 CCTV appeal after vehicles interfered with in Royston
- 7 Villagers launch bid to raise £200,000 for 14th-century church paintings
- 8 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 9 Street singers lift people's spirits with town centre flash mob
- 10 Help on offer for residents as Universal Credit cut looms
Darren Hicks then put Royston in front after steering the ball home from 10 yards and the hosts held out for their fourth win of the season.
There was no luck for the men’s 4ths who lost 2-0 at home to Cheshunt 3rds.
Royston ladies’ first team were the only females in action and they continued their promotion push with a 4-2 away win at mid-table Potters Bar’s first team.
Sophie Gathercole’s hat-trick and another from Sarah Buckerfield secured victory six of the season.