Royston Hockey Club round-up
ROYSTON HOCKEY Club’s Men’s First Team continued their fine run of form with a 4-2 win over Harpenden on Saturday.
Royston raced out of the blocks and soon found themselves 2-0 up thanks to Owen Russell and Nathan Sugden. Harpenden looked dangerous on the break and were soon able to claw a goal back from one of their many short corners.
Sugden added to the goal tally with a fine attacking run and unstoppable shot past the motionless Harpenden ‘keeper. Harpenden scored again after the half-time break before captain Nick Ross sealed the win with a late fourth.
The Men’s IIs showed great team-work to overcome a stubborn Bishop’s Stortford 2-1.
Both teams started brightly and attacked with flowing hockey. Royston went ahead with a strike from Matt Allsopp who found the bottom left-hand corner.
You may also want to watch:
Stortford equalised midway through the second half but with five minutes remaining Royston snatched the victory through a Michael Priest reverse-sweep goal.
The Men’s IIIs lost a thrilling match against Berkhamsted IIIs 6-4.
- 1 CCTV appeal after vehicles interfered with in Royston
- 2 Villagers launch bid to raise £200,000 for 14th-century church paintings
- 3 Royston man to stand trial for permitting production of cannabis
- 4 Heath threatened with 'eyesore' borehole kiosks
- 5 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 6 Street singers lift people's spirits with town centre flash mob
- 7 What's next for Thakeham development after Local Plan sites revealed?
- 8 King James Academy to continue as school sport hub for north east Hertfordshire
- 9 Busy week for Royston firefighting crews as they keep people safe
- 10 Hertfordshire's adult social care workers honoured at award ceremony
Royston started convincingly and went three goals up within the first 15 minutes thanks to a superb hat-trick from Steve Gourd.
Royston continued to push for a fourth before Berkhampsted broke on the counter to scramble the ball over the line to bring one back. This happened twice more in as many minutes to bring the scores level, before Gourd burst through their defence and slotted home to put Royston back into the lead. But still Royston were unable to hold on with Berkhampsted bringing the scores level just before half time.
With the second half looming the crowd were anticipating another goal-fest like the first, but they were left disappointed as Berkhampsted scored twice to earn the win, and leave Royston to ponder quite how they let this one get away.
The Men’s IVs endured a bad day at the office as they found themselves on the wrong end of a 5-0 result to Bedford Vs.
The Ladies’ First Team had no such problems as they were on the right end of a 5-0 scoreline in their match against Tring to continue their unbeaten run.
Sophie Gathercole opened the scoring when a well timed pass slotted her through one on one with the ‘keeper. In the second half Royston continued the pressure and got their second when Sarah Buckerfield converted a lovely goal after a great run from Martine Powley. Royston upped their tempo in the last 10 minutes and Wendy Holt scored the third. Ruth Askham scored from a well worked short corner and Gathercole got her second and Royston’s fifth through the ‘keeper’s legs.
The Ladies’ IIs lost 7-0 to St Albans IIIs in what was a day to forget.