Royston Hockey Club round-up
ROYSTON HOCKEY Club’s Men’s First Team continued their fine run of form with a 4-2 win over Harpenden on Saturday.
Royston raced out of the blocks and soon found themselves 2-0 up thanks to Owen Russell and Nathan Sugden. Harpenden looked dangerous on the break and were soon able to claw a goal back from one of their many short corners.
Sugden added to the goal tally with a fine attacking run and unstoppable shot past the motionless Harpenden ‘keeper. Harpenden scored again after the half-time break before captain Nick Ross sealed the win with a late fourth.
The Men’s IIs showed great team-work to overcome a stubborn Bishop’s Stortford 2-1.
Both teams started brightly and attacked with flowing hockey. Royston went ahead with a strike from Matt Allsopp who found the bottom left-hand corner.
Stortford equalised midway through the second half but with five minutes remaining Royston snatched the victory through a Michael Priest reverse-sweep goal.
The Men’s IIIs lost a thrilling match against Berkhamsted IIIs 6-4.
- 1 New cops truck catches out law-breaking drivers in successful week
- 2 Man sentenced for handling stolen goods - including designer watch, clothes and laptop
- 3 Drug dealer jailed after being found with heroin and crack cocaine
- 4 Goalkeeper with incurable brain tumour overwhelmed by fundraiser response
- 5 Ian Stewart 'appeared odd' at wife Diane's funeral, court hears
- 6 Cyclist in hospital with life-threatening injuries after crash
- 7 Jail for fraudulent accountant who tried to steal £200k of employer’s money
- 8 Face coverings no longer mandatory indoors as England returns to Plan A
- 9 Bank cards, electrical items and jewellery stolen in burglary
- 10 Ian Stewart murder trial: Diane 'suffered lack of oxygen for up to an hour'
Royston started convincingly and went three goals up within the first 15 minutes thanks to a superb hat-trick from Steve Gourd.
Royston continued to push for a fourth before Berkhampsted broke on the counter to scramble the ball over the line to bring one back. This happened twice more in as many minutes to bring the scores level, before Gourd burst through their defence and slotted home to put Royston back into the lead. But still Royston were unable to hold on with Berkhampsted bringing the scores level just before half time.
With the second half looming the crowd were anticipating another goal-fest like the first, but they were left disappointed as Berkhampsted scored twice to earn the win, and leave Royston to ponder quite how they let this one get away.
The Men’s IVs endured a bad day at the office as they found themselves on the wrong end of a 5-0 result to Bedford Vs.
The Ladies’ First Team had no such problems as they were on the right end of a 5-0 scoreline in their match against Tring to continue their unbeaten run.
Sophie Gathercole opened the scoring when a well timed pass slotted her through one on one with the ‘keeper. In the second half Royston continued the pressure and got their second when Sarah Buckerfield converted a lovely goal after a great run from Martine Powley. Royston upped their tempo in the last 10 minutes and Wendy Holt scored the third. Ruth Askham scored from a well worked short corner and Gathercole got her second and Royston’s fifth through the ‘keeper’s legs.
The Ladies’ IIs lost 7-0 to St Albans IIIs in what was a day to forget.