Royston Hockey Club pay tribute to John Whitehead
Royston Hockey Club round-up
ROYSTON Hockey Club held a minute’s silence before all eight of their fixtures on Saturday in memory of lifelong member John Whitehead, who sadly passed away last week aged 81.
John was also vice-president of the club, an international umpire and a great friend to all those at Royston HC, who said: “John was a great mentor and coach to umpires and players alike. Hhad been at the Heath Sports Club on Saturday September 29 in rude health as always to discuss the day’s events and will be greatly missed by everyone at the club.
“Tributes to John can be posted on Kingfisher Funeral Directors of St Neots website.
You may also want to watch:
In celebration of John’s life and his wicked sense of humour all players will wear open toed shoes next weekend with donations going to charity.”
Royston men’s first team suffered a frustrating 4-3 defeat at home to West Herts IIs.
- 1 Heath threatened with 'eyesore' borehole kiosks
- 2 Royston man to stand trial for permitting production of cannabis
- 3 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 4 What's next for Thakeham development after Local Plan sites revealed?
- 5 Girl power and horse power prove a winning combination for Meldreth racing driver Lizzy
- 6 Riverdance's 25th anniversary show lifts the roof off Cambridge Corn Exchange
- 7 Award-winning CADS production at Royston Arts Festival
- 8 In pictures: The Battle of Britain Air Show 2021 at IWM Duxford
- 9 Charlie and Stan slapstick homage riffs on the pair's clowning skills at Cambridge Arts Theatre
- 10 Mum of four sought by police over child neglect claims
Down 1-0 by half-time from a superb solo effort in the first 10 minutes, Royston were still in the match and came out in the second half determined to take the game to their opponents.
Dan Smith equalised from a left sided reverse stick shot, and then West Herts scored two goals with one a lucky deflection. Nathan Sugden then scored a reverse stick goal but despite Smith’s second from the penalty spot the visitors ran out 4-3 winners.
The ladies’ first team thrashed Crostyx IIs 8-0 away from home, with Sophie Gathercole and Ruth Askham both stealing the show with impressive hat-trcks, while Kirsty McKenzie and Sarah Buckerfield completed the rout.
The men’s IIs defeated Broxbourne IIs 3-2, their first victory of the season. Nick Hurd was on target for Royston.
The ladies’ IIs lost 7-2 to St Albans IVs, with Heidi Whitaker and Victoria Biddlecombe scoring for Royston.
The men’s IIIs lost 4-1 away to MBDA, with Chris Markham scoring for Royston.
The ladies’ IIIs won 3-0 at home to Bedford Vs, their first win in East League Division Six. Emma Whitaker, Olivia Strong and Carline Legg scored the goals.
The men’s IVs won 3-1 away to Letchworth Vs. Royston’s goals came from an own goal, and strikes from Nick Freeman and Rob Brumby.
Royston fielded a ladies’ fourth team for the first time in 25 years, and drew 0-0 away at Shefford & Sandy Vs. The team consisted of several new members from the Back to Hockey scheme, as well as some junior members.