Royston Hockey Club men’s 2nds and ladies’ firsts bag wins
- Credit: Archant
Royston Hockey Club’s men’s 2nds and ladies’ first team were the only victors in their respective league encounters last weekend.
Skipper Owen Russell bagged four goals as the 2nds battered basement side Bedford 4ths 8-0.
A brace from Carl Taylor and individual efforts from Duncan Warner and Matt Allsopp sealed the massive win.
The ladies’ first team find themselves back in the promotion zone after seeing off Southend’s first team 7-1 at home.
Doubles from Kirsty McKenzie, Sophie Gathercole and Sarah Buckerfield and another from Vicki Bidwell handed the in-form ladies all three points.
The men’s first team battled hard but just fell short, losing 5-3 at home to West Herts 3rds.
In contrast, Royston 3rds could not muster a goal as they lost 3-0 at home to Stevenage 4ths.
- 2 Where you can see the Perseid meteor shower in Hertfordshire
- 3 Melbourn's Dan Goodfellow hails 'extra-special' Commonwealth gold
- 4 MP hosts gathering for Ukrainian refugees
- 5 'Flood the internet' to save waterways in South Cambs
- 6 Men's health champion receives funding boost from Ashwell Masonic Lodge
- 7 Meet Hertfordshire's Birmingham 2022 medal winners
- 8 Sir Tom Jones stage times for Heritage Live concert at Audley End House & Gardens
- 9 Firefighters tackle large blaze in field in Guilden Morden
- 10 Judoka Emma Reid from Royston wins Birmingham 2022 gold
Keith Markham temporarily brought Royston 4ths level in their clash at Hertford 4ths but errors allowed the hosts to easily complete a 5-1 win.
In the ladies clashes, the 3rds battled back from a goal down to claim a point at home to Bedford 3rds. Rachael Savage with the goal.
The 4ths were hammered 10-0 on home soil by West Herts 4ths.