Royston held in season opener
ROYSTON fourths first home friendly of the season ended in an entertaining 3-3 draw with St Ives. The visitors made a bright start, and Royston keeper Robert Frost had to stand firm and deal with a barrage of early shots. However, St Ives continued to pre
ROYSTON fourths first home friendly of the season ended in an entertaining 3-3 draw with St Ives.
The visitors made a bright start, and Royston keeper Robert Frost had to stand firm and deal with a barrage of early shots.
However, St Ives continued to press, and soon took a two-goal lead after a pair of incisive breakaways.
But just before half time Chris Watson pulled one back, slamming in a shot from a short corner which found the net via a deflection.
You may also want to watch:
Inspired by this goal, Royston began to show more cohesion in the second period, with the midfield and attack linking effectively.
The equaliser came after a shot corner which was converted by Paul Bloomfield.
- 1 Barley Flower Tower to be cut into pieces!
- 2 14 Spitfires to take to the skies at IWM Duxford's 2021 Battle of Britain Air Show
- 3 Spitfires and more... IWM Duxford prepares for 2021 Battle of Britain Air Show
- 4 Get set for Strawberries & Creem Festival in the Cambridgeshire countryside
- 5 New app allows passengers to order bus to virtual stops
- 6 Teacher raises more than £3,000 with charity run in mother's memory
- 7 Camera to be installed in village to address long-standing speeding woes
- 8 Lack of public transport blamed for collapse of £10.5m training centre
- 9 Wellbeing gardens opened at Lister in memory of much-loved colleague Marilyn
- 10 Mum of four sought by police over child neglect claims
Royston hit the front when Bloomfield and Watson combined to play in Richard Bowen, who made no mistake with a composed finish. Unfortunately for the home side, their lead was short-lived, and it took some more inspired goalkeeping from Smith to keep St Ives at bay.
They did find the net once more though, to make the final score 3-3.