Royston Heath Archery Club members perform extremely well at prestigious tournament
- Credit: Archant
Talented members from Royston Heath Archery Club club performed extremely well as the Hertfordshire Archery Association Indoor County and Open Team Competition.
Royston Heath Archery Club took seven club members to compete shooting in the recurve class, and five of them beat or equalled their personal bests at that round.
On the day Royston was awarded the silver medal, but a clerical error found the next day where one member of the Hertford Company of Archers had been missed out meant that Royston was readjusted to third place, with a total score of 2017 points.
The gold medal went to Abbey Bowmen from St Albans. The RHAC team was Jack Corps, Micael Wright, Deborah Matin and Andrew Cox, with Coomaren Vencatasawmy, Jamie Cattrell and Sam Pavey.
Deborah Martin also came second in the ladies section, missing out on first place by just four points with a total of 501.
You may also want to watch:
There was a large turnout from County and other clubs, and with 86 archers there was almost no spaces spare on the targets at all three sessions during the day.
The round was the World Archery 25m, five dozen arrows at 25m on a 60cm face.
- 1 Lack of public transport blamed for collapse of £10.5m training centre
- 2 New app allows passengers to order bus to virtual stops
- 3 Teacher raises more than £3,000 with charity run in mother's memory
- 4 Spitfires and more... IWM Duxford prepares for 2021 Battle of Britain Air Show
- 5 Cambs and Essex academy trust wins prestigious award
- 6 Camera to be installed in village to address long-standing speeding woes
- 7 Get set for Strawberries & Creem Festival in the Cambridgeshire countryside
- 8 Hospitality Action Day: Some of your favourite local pubs, restaurants and cafés
- 9 Co-operation 'vital' in A505 Royston to Granta Park scheme
- 10 Exploring the medieval graffiti of North Herts' historic churches
Teams consisted of the highest scoring four archers from each club, with nine teams entered from Hertfordshire.
The competition was at Welwyn Garden City.
Royston Heath Archery Club is a small and friendly club with around 50 members. We are all keen amateurs and we love to talk about and introduce archery to new people.
The club are a target archery club and currently have members that shoot a range of different bow types, including recurve, longbow, barebow and compound.
RHAC is affiliated to Archery GB (formerly known as the Grand National Archery Society, GNAS, of Great Britain) and they shoot according to their rules because abiding by their rules gives the necessary insurance cover.
Shooting regular rounds allows members to gain and maintain their handicap as well as many other awards. Though some members confine their shooting to our club rounds on the heath, there are many opportunities to take part in a wide range competitions.
The club has five Archery GB qualified coaches and a number of experienced archers to help members progress.
If members show sufficient desire to practice hard and improve, we can put them in contact with suitable squads and coaches to help them progress.
For more visit their website www.roystonarchery.org.