Royston have the wind in their sails
All the latest results from Royston Bowls Club
THE weather showed a friendlier disposition this week with many matches being played in sunshine, although towards the end of the week high winds interfered producing some interesting ends, writes Maureen Gisby.
In the friendly matches Royston lost by four shots to Havers Park, but had runaway scoring at both Willian, where Maureen Gisby, Gillian Fisk and Tony Williams won 28-12 and in the Ladies Friendly at Bishop Stortford, Cynthia Pepper, Pam Keating and Shirley Pawson producing an amazing 38-3 victory. Overall Royston beat Willian by 15 shots while at Bishop’s Stortford the Royston ladies won by 66-48 shots.
In the Vets Game against Steeple Morden, Skips D Goodwin and R Goode led their teams to a 21-18 and 22-20 wins respectively, but M Ward and P Keating lost on their rinks by nine shots and seven shots, Royston losing overall by 67-78.
You may also want to watch:
One National 55 and Over Pairs game, played at East Barnet saw S Whitehouse and L Ramsey score a healthy winning 24 shots to 13. In the NHI against The Three Horse Shoes, high scoring teams of S Coppen, O Maris, W Martin, R Neville, 24-11, and A Keating, G Hardwicke, D Goodwin D Sheriff, 19-12 gave Royston a winning score of 43 shots doubling their opponent’s score of 23.
In the North Herts Ladies Pairs Anne Martin and Margaret Ward had an incredible win against St Ippolyts near Hitchin 30-10. They then went on to beat the Three Horse Shoes in the triples, with the additional player Petula Peel, 19-7. Unfortunately luck ran out in the North Herts Ladies League played at Riveraine on a rink barely dry from flooding the previous week, Royston losing 27-39.
- 1 New app allows passengers to order bus to virtual stops
- 2 Barley Flower Tower to be cut into pieces!
- 3 Spitfires and more... IWM Duxford prepares for 2021 Battle of Britain Air Show
- 4 14 Spitfires to take to the skies at IWM Duxford's 2021 Battle of Britain Air Show
- 5 Lack of public transport blamed for collapse of £10.5m training centre
- 6 Teacher raises more than £3,000 with charity run in mother's memory
- 7 Camera to be installed in village to address long-standing speeding woes
- 8 Wellbeing gardens opened at Lister in memory of much-loved colleague Marilyn
- 9 Mum of four sought by police over child neglect claims
- 10 Hospitality Action Day: Some of your favourite local pubs, restaurants and cafés
County games dominated the week. Although Gillian Fisk and Maureen Gisby lost singles games they came together as a winning combination in the Pairs Championships beating Shirley Pawson and Linda O’Flanagan 19-11.
Three Men’s Pairs triumphed: K Dockree and S Brown against Roebuck 21-20, G Lewis and M O’Flanagan also against Roebuck 20-17 while L Ramsey and P Adams won against Baldock, also scoring 20 against 17 shots.
Four men’s County Singles were played at home with R Neville losing to Baldock 10-21 but three wins from S Brown 22-8, M Coppen 21-11, also playing against Baldock while L Ramsey trounced the Three Horse Shoes 21-2. Finally in the County 3’s Skips M Coppen and P Adams were victorious over Roebuck with high scores of 26-5 and 17-6 while R Neville’s team won convincingly 17-11.