Royston golf round-up
JUNIOR member Andrew Brooker won the Rotary Charity Shield at Royston Golf Club on Saturday. With the weather set fair and the course in excellent condition, Andrew amassed an incredible 46 stableford points, with 25 points on the back nine – finishing i
JUNIOR member Andrew Brooker won the Rotary Charity Shield at Royston Golf Club on Saturday.
With the weather set fair and the course in excellent condition, Andrew amassed an incredible 46 stableford points, with 25 points on the back nine - finishing in style with a birdie on the eighteenth.
Fellow junior, John Middlemass, was second with 42 along with Tom Clayton. Twelve other players also played below their handicaps with 37 points or more. Tracey Parsons followed up her win in the Flag Competition by leading the Ladies Competition with 34 points, just ahead of Paula Offer. Olivia Davey was third on countback , just edging out Linda Lakey.
Adam Wright won the Junior Medal with a nett 71, just ahead of County under 16 Captain, Jordan Hardwidge.
You may also want to watch:
The juniors also played their first round of the County Knockout Cup at St Ives last week and despite a heroic performance from James Smith and Tom Porter, it was down to the final pairing of Matt Barrett and Daniel Smith, who missed the first extra hole to lose the match.
Junior Captain, Greg Fyson and John Middlemass, recovered well after a poor start, but eventually lost 3&2.
- 1 Royston Kite Festival decision 'under review' as lockdown extended
- 2 Two lorry crash blocks part of A14 in Cambridgeshire
- 3 Mayor ‘wantonly diverted’ £40m of housing cash
- 4 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
- 5 Motorhome and car involved in A505 crash
- 6 Village leader awarded BEM for community centre build and more
- 7 Could you help preserve ponds in Reed?
- 8 Agricultural expert 'over the moon' with MBE
- 9 Community stalwart who led national effort to help navy veterans during pandemic receives BEM
- 10 Ski trip interest 'peaks' at Melbourn Village College
Jenny Jarvis won the Ladies Medal ahead of Val Squires and Mary Wilson.
This week sees the fist major trophy on offer for the Men. The Hastings Cup has attracted an entry of over 100 players, for a trophy that was first played for in 1970.
Midweek Golfers Stableford results: Phil Vince - 38, Jim Hopkins - 38, Keith Taylor - 37, Mick Hall - 35.
Yellowball Team Stableford:
Nigel Thomas, Peter Rutter & Paul Hayden - 120 Ben Bennett, Paul Mepham &, Robin Coles - 117, John Smith, John Rich & Terry Bonnett - 117, Mike Phizacklea, Kevin Bevan, Stuart Farrow - 117.