Royston Golf Club welcome new club captains
- Credit: Archant
In their 125th year, Royston Golf Club have voted in their new captains.
Club captain Ray Boddy and ladies’ captain Helen Steverson were dressed in 1892-style golfing attire and used hickory-shafted clubs for the occasion to commemorate that the club enters its 125th anniversary during their year in office.
However, it was junior captain George Sanders who brought the event back to the modern day with his new technology driver and well-honed swing as he smashed his drive 194 yards.
Seniors captain Mike Thrower shrugged off some dodgy drives in his round earlier in the day to achieve a competitive 155 yards.
The hickory-shafted clubs saw Boddy hit his drive 124 yards and Steverson, desperately trying to retain her hat in windy conditions and with long skirt and heeled shoes not helping her cause, a credible 91 yards.
The football competition held earlier that day was won by Steve Defraine and Darren Dawson with 41 points on countback from club president Barry Rouse and vice-captain, Stuart Steverson.
The Saturday medal was won by Peter Prentice with an impressive net score of 65, a one-under-par gross score as he plays off a four handicap.
- 1 Herts sex offender assaulted victim while she slept
- 2 Tractors take to the streets to raise money for hospital
- 3 Royston judoka Reid relishing Commonwealth Games chance
- 4 Royston Town Council declares climate emergency
- 5 Royston Museum finally reopens following two-year closure
- 6 'Hooded thieves' stole three vehicles
- 7 Plans for second multi-storey car park at Stevenage's Lister Hospital to help 'better meet demand'
- 8 Citizens Advice: Your rights should anything get lost or delayed in the post
- 9 Former company boss fined after illegal waste dumped at quarry
- 10 What to see in the sky in July: Year's biggest supermoon and two meteor showers
Lee Richardson was second with his nett score of 66.
The club has big plans for their 125th year celebrations and welcomes any local businesses or individuals willing to help them make it a year to remember.
Anyone interested should contact the club on 01763 243476.