Royston Golf Club round-up
MATTHEW Barrett won the 42nd annual Junior Open at Royston Golf Club last week with an excellent gross 73 in tricky wet conditions.
The Royston member stormed home in three-under par to take the trophy, which has previously been won by Sir Nick Faldo.
Matthew made birdies at the 11th, 13th and 18th to win by two shots from Steven Willett (Crondon Park GC). Daniel Smith, also from Royston, finished third.
In the stableford competition, home player Alex Bbrain, who has been in tremendous form, won by a massive seven points, scoring a total of 42 points over the eighteen holes.
Another Royston member, Ryan Sharp, was second followed by Chalani Allen from the Gog Magog Golf Club.
You may also want to watch:
The Johnson Matthey Mixed Foursomes was played on Saturday and countback was required to decide the winners. In the end Adrian Shoebridge and Josie Seward took the spoils by virtue of a better back nine of 21 points. They tied with David Caunce and Judith Osler, but were helped to victory with three two’s on the card. Alan Lakey and Carolyn Devaney were third with 37.
One-handicapper, Mark Rogers won the Saturday Stableford with 38 points, despite two sixes on the back nine. He edged home ahead of a quartet of players who finished onn 37 points. Tom Trimble took second spot on countback from Alan Evans, John Griffin and Ken Rushall.
- 1 Kite Festival cancelled after lockdown extension
- 2 Grandmother runs Royston in Blue 5k solo to raise money for charity
- 3 Limes Communal Rooms to become Bassingbourn's village hall
- 4 Young Crows net funding for club improvements
- 5 Man jailed after attacking victim with glass bottle in hotel room
- 6 A505 campaigner on safety improvement progress and wrong-way driver near-miss
- 7 Network Rail seeks green light for Cambridge South station
- 8 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
- 9 Cooling caps appeal to reduce chemo patients' hair loss
- 10 'If I lived three miles away the obstacles would've been lower' - Councillor calls for IVF to be reinstated in Cambs
In other results, Robert Brain won the Junior Medal with 63 ahead of Alex Brain and Lyle Clark.
Gill Drewery won the Grannies Rosebowl ahead of Libby Toby and Lynn Barker while Stuart Knight won the midweek golfers’ stableford ahead of William Steel, John Humphries and Jim Hopkins.