Royston get off to winning start
Royston Hockey Club round-up
Men’s first team: After a positive pre-season, newly-promoted Royston got off to a winning start in Division Two South with a 5-3 win at Bishop’s Stortford IIs.
Eager to set the pace, Royston began strongly and soon found themselves two goals up thanks to Nathan Sugden. Stortford made good use of their wide men and manage to claw back a goal shortly before half time.
Unfazed by the setback, Royston regrouped for the second period, which saw them dominate the early stages. Dan Smith fired in for the visitors only to see the advantage cut once again, after the hosts were allowed in too easily.
You may also want to watch:
Some sharp passing down the left saw Royston regain the two goal advantage, with Sugden completing his hat-trick. Stortford again pulled a goal back before Sam Walker-Farrent sealed the victoryfor Royston, who face Blueharts this Saturday.
The Men’s IIs suffered a 3-0 defeat away to a strong Hertford side in Division 4SW, while the Men’s IIIs drew 3-3 with Blueharts Vs in Division 7SW.
- 1 Young Crows net funding for club improvements
- 2 Grandmother runs Royston in Blue 5k solo to raise money for charity
- 3 Limes Communal Rooms to become Bassingbourn's village hall
- 4 Man jailed after attacking victim with glass bottle in hotel room
- 5 Network Rail seeks green light for Cambridge South station
- 6 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
- 7 Cooling caps appeal to reduce chemo patients' hair loss
- 8 'If I lived three miles away the obstacles would've been lower' - Councillor calls for IVF to be reinstated in Cambs
- 9 Socially-distanced festival is a welcome return to pre-pandemic good times
- 10 Flasher who attacked officers appears in court
The Men’s IVs thrashed Bishop’s Stortford VIs 6-0 thanks to goals from Clive Biddlecombe (two), Nick Broadley, Sam Hurd, Wesley Trotti and Mike Priest.
The Ladies’ first team recorded a fine 4-3 win over Hertford in their first match following promotion to Division 2SW.
Two goals from Ali Carroll, one each from Player of the Match Ruth Askham and Sophie Gathercole sent Hertford home angry and frustrated by a controversial umpiring decision to make the game 3-3 with only four minutes left to play, with the decider coming in the last minute of the game.
The ladies’ IIs went down 2-0 against a tough Saffron Walden IVs in their second pre-season friendly.
The ladies’ IIIs also played a friendly against Stevenage and came away with a 1-1 draw with a goal from Julie Walsh.