Royston gear up for 2012 cricket season
New players wanted ahead of summer campaign!
ROYSTON Cricket Club launches its 2012 season with an Open Day on Saturday, April 21 at Therfield from 10am.
The Club celebrated a successful season in 2011 with two of the four youth teams winning their leagues. With the growing strength of its youth section, an adult second XI has been entered into the Saturday league for 2012.
The open day will be an opportunity for existing and new players to register, purchase kit and clothing and enjoy a lunchtime barbecue. There will be a practice cricket match for children up to 14 years in the morning and an adult-friendly match in the afternoon against Horseheath.
The 2011 season saw both the U11s and U12s winning their leagues. This season sees the reintroduction of a second team aimed at fostering the development of our youth players and brining in new adults to the club. Our newly-formed second XI will play in the Cambridgeshire Cricket Association Minor League while the first XI will continue to play in the CCA Junior League Division Two.
Preparation for the new season is under way with senior team nets being held at Royston Leisure Centre on Monday evenings from 9-10pm. Youth training for U12s and above is from 8-9pm on Mondays.
The Club runs the Keatley Cup, a well-known knock-out tournament involving local clubs, with Royston hosting the final at Therfield in July.
- 1 Product sold at Tesco recalled due to risk of disease-causing bacteria
- 2 Grandad celebrates 18th sailing championship win
- 3 Hertfordshire under Met Office yellow warning for storms
- 4 Vintage tractor run to raise money for churches
- 5 Three rail and bus strikes in London and the East this week
- 6 One of a kind Second World War aircraft to fly in historic flypast at IWM Duxford’s Battle of Britain Air Show 2022
- 7 'Hitchin is the only place I've felt accepted'
- 8 Johnson Matthey to build £80 million 'gigafactory' in Royston
- 9 Everything you need to know about the August train driver strike
- 10 MP hosts gathering for Ukrainian refugees
The Club is also affiliated to the Cambridgeshire Youth Cricket Association (CYCA) and has a thriving young cricketer’s section. For season 2012 the youth section has entered teams at U11, U12, U13 and U14 age groups.
The club offers spring term indoor nets at the Royston Leisure Centre with outdoor training for the youth players at Meridian School in Royston on every Sunday morning (10am-noon) throughout the summer term. Outdoor training for 2012 will begin on Sunday, April 29. We have four qualified coaches running the training.
The Club will also play in some KwikCricket tournaments that will offer competitive cricket to some U10s.
Founded over 220 years ago in 1790, the club is now based at the Recreation Ground in the village of Therfield.
The club is eager to hear from any players wanting to join the thriving youth section or adult section, as well as from parent volunteers to help run matches and/or assist their coaches.
For adults contact Paul Harris on 07966 766120 or Kevin Leavers on 07504 987107.
For youth cricket enquiries contact David May 01763 246396 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.