Royston gear up for 2012 cricket season
New players wanted ahead of summer campaign!
ROYSTON Cricket Club launches its 2012 season with an Open Day on Saturday, April 21 at Therfield from 10am.
The Club celebrated a successful season in 2011 with two of the four youth teams winning their leagues. With the growing strength of its youth section, an adult second XI has been entered into the Saturday league for 2012.
The open day will be an opportunity for existing and new players to register, purchase kit and clothing and enjoy a lunchtime barbecue. There will be a practice cricket match for children up to 14 years in the morning and an adult-friendly match in the afternoon against Horseheath.
The 2011 season saw both the U11s and U12s winning their leagues. This season sees the reintroduction of a second team aimed at fostering the development of our youth players and brining in new adults to the club. Our newly-formed second XI will play in the Cambridgeshire Cricket Association Minor League while the first XI will continue to play in the CCA Junior League Division Two.
You may also want to watch:
Preparation for the new season is under way with senior team nets being held at Royston Leisure Centre on Monday evenings from 9-10pm. Youth training for U12s and above is from 8-9pm on Mondays.
The Club runs the Keatley Cup, a well-known knock-out tournament involving local clubs, with Royston hosting the final at Therfield in July.
- 1 A505 campaigner on safety improvement progress and wrong-way driver near-miss
- 2 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
- 3 Lidl targets new Hertfordshire store locations
- 4 Broadband speeds 15x faster than average set to arrive thanks to major investment
- 5 Kite Festival cancelled after lockdown extension
- 6 Limes Communal Rooms to become Bassingbourn's village hall
- 7 Uber-style app could mean doorstep bus pick up
- 8 Nurses to meet with unvaccinated social care workers to address concerns
- 9 What is happening in our area for Armed Forces Day?
- 10 Grandmother runs Royston in Blue 5k solo to raise money for charity
The Club is also affiliated to the Cambridgeshire Youth Cricket Association (CYCA) and has a thriving young cricketer’s section. For season 2012 the youth section has entered teams at U11, U12, U13 and U14 age groups.
The club offers spring term indoor nets at the Royston Leisure Centre with outdoor training for the youth players at Meridian School in Royston on every Sunday morning (10am-noon) throughout the summer term. Outdoor training for 2012 will begin on Sunday, April 29. We have four qualified coaches running the training.
The Club will also play in some KwikCricket tournaments that will offer competitive cricket to some U10s.
Founded over 220 years ago in 1790, the club is now based at the Recreation Ground in the village of Therfield.
The club is eager to hear from any players wanting to join the thriving youth section or adult section, as well as from parent volunteers to help run matches and/or assist their coaches.
For adults contact Paul Harris on 07966 766120 or Kevin Leavers on 07504 987107.
For youth cricket enquiries contact David May 01763 246396 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.