Royston fare well in County Singles matches
Royston Bowls Club weekly round-up
ROYSTON Bowls Club began the week with a flurry of successes, commencing with the County Singles last Thursday.
Peter Adams won his match against Aston’s Paddy Jones 21-19 while Stewart Brown beat fellow Royston teammate Mike Randall 21-6.
Royston’s national bowler Matt Coppen took on Ross Kilford from Roebuck and fought his way to a 21-12 success. Simon Lee had an equally comfortable 22-10 victory over Three Horseshoes’ Phil Wilkinson.
Will Martin was on fire as well in his match with Ted Pay (St Ippolyts) to win 22-6.
Mick O’Flanagan found himself 7-0 down against Baldock’s Mike Parsons after just a few ends, before showing great determination to fight back and earn a 21-17 win.
Last up was Laurie Ramsay who took on Stevenage’s J Winters and it was the Royston bowler who took a 21-12 victory.
- 1 Trial begins for killer accused of murdering wife
- 2 Ian Stewart murder trial: Killer 'restricted wife's breathing and fabricated epilepsy death'
- 3 Meet team behind new Royston Town Party
- 4 Time-lapse video: Nightingale surge hub build at Lister Hospital
- 5 Women trapped in vehicle after A10 crash
- 6 Downing Street and its South Cambs connections
- 7 Aldi chocolate and yoghurts containing metal among recent recalled products
- 8 Cancer nurse's warning over drop in cervical screening
- 9 He strangled Rikki, stripped him and left his body flat on his back, Old Bailey told
- 10 8,000 homes plan criticised over ‘hidden green belt destruction’
Meanwhile, in the Meldreth & District League, Royston were away to Great Shelford. It was Royston who out-gunned their opponents on all four rinks to triumph 99-47 overall and collect seven bonus points.
In a Vets game of five mixed triples played last Thursday, Royston travelled to Whitethorn BC in Letchworth only to find themselves on the wrong end of a 95-59 scoreline.
Datchworth BC visited Royston on Saturday to play in a 6R mixed friendly match. It turned out to be a relaxing win for Royston who only lost on one rink, and coasted home by 104 shots to 76.
This very busy and triumphant week for Royston concluded with a
4R men & 2R ladies friendly against Sawbridgeworth played at Royston. The game was played in blustery conditions but Royston won on four rinks, and lost on two, with an honourable draw on rink six. Royston won by 119 shots to Sawbridgeworth’s 93 shots.