Royston excel against Exiles
Royston Hockey Club round-up
ROYSTON Hockey Club Men’s Is beat St Albans Exiles 4-2 at Bassingbourn Barracks on Saturday.
During an early spell of attacking play in which Royston should have taken the lead, it was a well-crafted counter attack by St Albans that lead to them taking the lead.
With the Hosts now fully aware of the threat St Albans possessed on the break, they set out to convert territory into goals.
Stout defending by Royston kept the Visitors at bay, while at the other end chances went begging the likes of which a forwards nightmares are made.
Still behind at the break, Royston rallied, refocused and embarked on the second period determined to get onto the score sheet early in the half. The perpetual nightmare was rapidly vanquished by Nick Hurd and his short corner deflection past the stranded ‘keeper for the equaliser.
Lifted by the eventual breakthrough, Royston entered an outstanding period of play which lasted until the end, and was soon rewarded with Graham Mack’s weaving solo goal.
- 1 Former company boss fined after illegal waste dumped at quarry
- 2 Stansted Airport and Cambridge trains disrupted after tree falls on tracks
- 3 Artists open up in record numbers for Cambridge Open Studios 2022
- 4 Wanted burglar caught in Grafton Centre with 'hoard of stolen goods'
- 5 Bank of England warns people have 100 days to use old £20 and £50 notes
- 6 Herts police officers shared rape 'jokes' and bestiality porn on WhatsApp
- 7 Pictures of Duxford Summer Air Show 2022 at IWM Duxford
- 8 A505 long delays between Royston and M11 motorway at Duxford
- 9 Met Office weather: Yellow thunderstorm warning for East of England
- 10 In pictures: 'Amazing' Paloma Faith wows fans as Newmarket Nights season starts with a bang
However Exiles got back on level terms through a penalty but Royston didn’t allow their heads to drop and strikes from Dan Smith and Neil Rodgers sealed an impressive victory.
The Men’s IIs suffered a disappointing 2-0 defeat to Stevenage IIIs while the Men’s IIIs went down 4-2 to Luton Town IIIs with the Royston goals coming from Steve Welding and Bob Biddlecombe.
The Men’s IVs lost 4-1 to Potters Bar IIs with Nick Freeman scoring the consolation for Royston.
The Ladies Is drew 2-2 with Broxbourne IIs with Kirsty McKenzie and Wendy Holt scoring the goals for Royston.
The Ladies IIs drew 1-1 with Hertford IIs with Ali Carroll getting herself on the scoresheet.
The Ladies IIIs lost 3-1 to Letchworth IVs despite Player of the Match Hannah Mardell giving Royston a first half lead.