Royston excel against Exiles
Royston Hockey Club round-up
ROYSTON Hockey Club Men’s Is beat St Albans Exiles 4-2 at Bassingbourn Barracks on Saturday.
During an early spell of attacking play in which Royston should have taken the lead, it was a well-crafted counter attack by St Albans that lead to them taking the lead.
With the Hosts now fully aware of the threat St Albans possessed on the break, they set out to convert territory into goals.
Stout defending by Royston kept the Visitors at bay, while at the other end chances went begging the likes of which a forwards nightmares are made.
You may also want to watch:
Still behind at the break, Royston rallied, refocused and embarked on the second period determined to get onto the score sheet early in the half. The perpetual nightmare was rapidly vanquished by Nick Hurd and his short corner deflection past the stranded ‘keeper for the equaliser.
Lifted by the eventual breakthrough, Royston entered an outstanding period of play which lasted until the end, and was soon rewarded with Graham Mack’s weaving solo goal.
- 1 Young Crows net funding for club improvements
- 2 Man jailed after attacking victim with glass bottle in hotel room
- 3 Limes Communal Rooms to become Bassingbourn's village hall
- 4 Grandmother runs Royston in Blue 5k solo to raise money for charity
- 5 'If I lived three miles away the obstacles would've been lower' - Councillor calls for IVF to be reinstated in Cambs
- 6 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
- 7 Network Rail seeks green light for Cambridge South station
- 8 Cooling caps appeal to reduce chemo patients' hair loss
- 9 Have you seen missing parrot Charlie?
- 10 Families celebrate Father's Day at IWM Duxford
However Exiles got back on level terms through a penalty but Royston didn’t allow their heads to drop and strikes from Dan Smith and Neil Rodgers sealed an impressive victory.
The Men’s IIs suffered a disappointing 2-0 defeat to Stevenage IIIs while the Men’s IIIs went down 4-2 to Luton Town IIIs with the Royston goals coming from Steve Welding and Bob Biddlecombe.
The Men’s IVs lost 4-1 to Potters Bar IIs with Nick Freeman scoring the consolation for Royston.
The Ladies Is drew 2-2 with Broxbourne IIs with Kirsty McKenzie and Wendy Holt scoring the goals for Royston.
The Ladies IIs drew 1-1 with Hertford IIs with Ali Carroll getting herself on the scoresheet.
The Ladies IIIs lost 3-1 to Letchworth IVs despite Player of the Match Hannah Mardell giving Royston a first half lead.