Royston end season with defeat
Royston under-17 15 Cheshunt under-17 17 IN a hard and closely fought contest Royston were disappointed to lose their last match of the season. After the previous week s strenuous workout against Shelford Colts, Royston were full of confidence, as they h
Royston under-17 15 Cheshunt under-17 17
IN a hard and closely fought contest Royston were disappointed to lose their last match of the season.
After the previous week's strenuous workout against Shelford Colts, Royston were full of confidence, as they had most of their players back from injury.
However, Cheshunt started the better, and were soon in Royston's 22, but good defensive play and clearance kicking from Ben Ritsema and Joe Hillman kept them at bay until midway through the half when the Cheshunt backs created an overlap and the right wing scored in the corner.
You may also want to watch:
Royston came back strongly and almost drew level with both Stuart Goldfinch and Andy Smith going close.
Eventually the Royston pressure told and from a scrum on the right Fergus Martin broke blind and fed Smith who scored in the corner.
- 1 A505 campaigner on safety improvement progress and wrong-way driver near-miss
- 2 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
- 3 Lidl targets new Hertfordshire store locations
- 4 Kite Festival cancelled after lockdown extension
- 5 Broadband speeds 15x faster than average set to arrive thanks to major investment
- 6 Limes Communal Rooms to become Bassingbourn's village hall
- 7 Uber-style app could mean doorstep bus pick up
- 8 Nurses to meet with unvaccinated social care workers to address concerns
- 9 Man jailed after attacking victim with glass bottle in hotel room
- 10 What is happening in our area for Armed Forces Day?
Royston began to get on top and continued to pressure Cheshunt, with full back Dan Ritsema bursting through and off-loading to Goldfinch who scored in the left corner.
In the second half, Royston again started the better with Ben Ritsema making two telling breaks.
However, Cheshunt gained confidence from a couple of lucky escapes and began to work their way back into the game.
A poor Royston kick was then pounced on by a Cheshunt full-back and following a powerful overlap the visitors scored their second try.
Cheshunt were then awarded a penalty on the half way line.
However, instead of kicking to the left touchline, they hoofed it into the open space on the right, and with the benefit of the following wind, the ball bounced and bobbled to within five metres of the Royston line, where the attackers outnumbered the defenders, and a Cheshunt flanker dived over for a converted try.
Royston responded with an Andy Smith effort, and missed the chance to edge in front following a failed conversion.