Royston end season with defeat
Royston under-17 15 Cheshunt under-17 17 IN a hard and closely fought contest Royston were disappointed to lose their last match of the season. After the previous week s strenuous workout against Shelford Colts, Royston were full of confidence, as they h
Royston under-17 15 Cheshunt under-17 17
IN a hard and closely fought contest Royston were disappointed to lose their last match of the season.
After the previous week's strenuous workout against Shelford Colts, Royston were full of confidence, as they had most of their players back from injury.
However, Cheshunt started the better, and were soon in Royston's 22, but good defensive play and clearance kicking from Ben Ritsema and Joe Hillman kept them at bay until midway through the half when the Cheshunt backs created an overlap and the right wing scored in the corner.
You may also want to watch:
Royston came back strongly and almost drew level with both Stuart Goldfinch and Andy Smith going close.
Eventually the Royston pressure told and from a scrum on the right Fergus Martin broke blind and fed Smith who scored in the corner.
- 1 CCTV appeal after vehicles interfered with in Royston
- 2 Villagers launch bid to raise £200,000 for 14th-century church paintings
- 3 What's next for Thakeham development after Local Plan sites revealed?
- 4 Heath threatened with 'eyesore' borehole kiosks
- 5 This Hound could run and and run... Sherlock Holmes play was 'a fun evening'
- 6 Street singers lift people's spirits with town centre flash mob
- 7 Royston man to stand trial for permitting production of cannabis
- 8 Malaysian-style Fens home leaves Grand Designs viewers in awe
- 9 Hertfordshire's adult social care workers honoured at award ceremony
- 10 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
Royston began to get on top and continued to pressure Cheshunt, with full back Dan Ritsema bursting through and off-loading to Goldfinch who scored in the left corner.
In the second half, Royston again started the better with Ben Ritsema making two telling breaks.
However, Cheshunt gained confidence from a couple of lucky escapes and began to work their way back into the game.
A poor Royston kick was then pounced on by a Cheshunt full-back and following a powerful overlap the visitors scored their second try.
Cheshunt were then awarded a penalty on the half way line.
However, instead of kicking to the left touchline, they hoofed it into the open space on the right, and with the benefit of the following wind, the ball bounced and bobbled to within five metres of the Royston line, where the attackers outnumbered the defenders, and a Cheshunt flanker dived over for a converted try.
Royston responded with an Andy Smith effort, and missed the chance to edge in front following a failed conversion.