Royston end Bourn's cup hopes
Royston Town Youth Colts 3 Bassingbourn Youth 2 Under-12s League Cup BASSINGBOURN'S cup hopes ended at the first hurdle as they fell to defeat against local rivals Royston Colts. As the scoreline suggests it was a close match and the final result could ha
Royston Town Youth Colts 3 Bassingbourn Youth 2
Under-12s League Cup
BASSINGBOURN'S cup hopes ended at the first hurdle as they fell to defeat against local rivals Royston Colts.
As the scoreline suggests it was a close match and the final result could have gone either way and this was evident from the start as both teams shared possession and chances.
You may also want to watch:
The Colts had several breakaways but failed to find the target during the opening exchanges and Bassingbourn's attempts on goal seemed to find the keeper in the right place as he denied both Ben Blower and Callum Waller.
Royston took the lead when the Bassingbourn defence failed to deal with a corner and the Colts forward fired home but within minutes Bassingbourn were level when a cross from the left found its way over to Waller who put away his first goal of the season to take the match into half time level.
- 1 Camera to be installed in village to address long-standing speeding woes
- 2 Co-operation 'vital' in A505 Royston to Granta Park scheme
- 3 Lack of public transport blamed for collapse of £10.5m training centre
- 4 Safety concerns continue in final days of travel hub consultation
- 5 Village school's annual fayre is a big hit
- 6 Margaret House residential home celebrates 50th anniversary milestone
- 7 Exploring the medieval graffiti of North Herts' historic churches
- 8 Historic Mayflower train makes its way through Royston and Meldreth
- 9 Mum of four sought by police over child neglect claims
- 10 Get set for Strawberries & Creem Festival in the Cambridgeshire countryside
The second half was only a few minutes old when Harry Vines was unfortunate to bring down a Colts player in the box and the subsequent penalty was despatched to give Royston the lead again.
Both teams continued to share the play and it was Blower who squared the match when he beat the defence to a high ball to lob the keeper.
With Bassingbourn starting to attack more as the midfield pushed forward they were caught out with a quick counterattack and Royston score a third.
Although Jacob Stekly and Evan Goldman had brief chances to equalise Royston held on and Bassingbourn were left to concentrate on the league.