Royston ease Herts/Middlesex 1 drop zone worries with Old Streetonians victory
- Credit: Archant
A dogged display at Old Streetonians saw Royston RFC ease their Herts/Middlesex 1 relegation fears with a 13-12 triumph on Saturday.
The weather conditions were poor with driving rain and high winds making the ground slick and the ball difficult to handle.
Ten minutes in, Royston found themselves in a good position with a line-out five metres from the Streetonians try-line and a well-rehearsed effort allowed Matt Muirhead to grab the first try.
Streetonians were not deterred and after a series of strong attacks, they found themselves in a similar position and they scored a converted try to take the lead.
The second half proved equally as tough, with Royston’s phase play gaining them a penalty, allowing Will Dacey to kick the three points.
However, the home side continued a determined attack, and passing the ball wide in continuous phases allowed them to snatch a second try.
Royston did not back down and with powerful determination, they attacked their opposition and were finally rewarded with another try, again scored by Muirhead, to squeeze into the lead at 13-12.
- 1 Ian Stewart murder trial: Killer 'restricted wife's breathing and fabricated epilepsy death'
- 2 Trial begins for killer accused of murdering wife
- 3 Meet team behind new Royston Town Party
- 4 Women trapped in vehicle after A10 crash
- 5 He strangled Rikki, stripped him and left his body flat on his back, Old Bailey told
- 6 Time-lapse video: Nightingale surge hub build at Lister Hospital
- 7 Downing Street and its South Cambs connections
- 8 Cancer nurse's warning over drop in cervical screening
- 9 Imperial War Museums launches first ever IWM Live event at Duxford this year
- 10 Gripping retelling of Blood Brothers coming to the ADC Theatre in Cambridge
The Old Street boys came back at Royston, but a determined defence denied the home side, giving Royston the victory and four league points. Next up is a home clash with Barnet Elizabethans.