Royston ease Herts/Middlesex 1 drop zone worries with Old Streetonians victory
- Credit: Archant
A dogged display at Old Streetonians saw Royston RFC ease their Herts/Middlesex 1 relegation fears with a 13-12 triumph on Saturday.
The weather conditions were poor with driving rain and high winds making the ground slick and the ball difficult to handle.
Ten minutes in, Royston found themselves in a good position with a line-out five metres from the Streetonians try-line and a well-rehearsed effort allowed Matt Muirhead to grab the first try.
Streetonians were not deterred and after a series of strong attacks, they found themselves in a similar position and they scored a converted try to take the lead.
The second half proved equally as tough, with Royston’s phase play gaining them a penalty, allowing Will Dacey to kick the three points.
You may also want to watch:
However, the home side continued a determined attack, and passing the ball wide in continuous phases allowed them to snatch a second try.
Royston did not back down and with powerful determination, they attacked their opposition and were finally rewarded with another try, again scored by Muirhead, to squeeze into the lead at 13-12.
- 1 Barley Flower Tower to be cut into pieces!
- 2 14 Spitfires to take to the skies at IWM Duxford's 2021 Battle of Britain Air Show
- 3 Teacher raises more than £3,000 with charity run in mother's memory
- 4 Historic Mayflower train makes its way through Royston and Meldreth
- 5 New app allows passengers to order bus to virtual stops
- 6 Spitfires and more... IWM Duxford prepares for 2021 Battle of Britain Air Show
- 7 Get set for Strawberries & Creem Festival in the Cambridgeshire countryside
- 8 Mum of four sought by police over child neglect claims
- 9 Lack of public transport blamed for collapse of £10.5m training centre
- 10 Co-operation 'vital' in A505 Royston to Granta Park scheme
The Old Street boys came back at Royston, but a determined defence denied the home side, giving Royston the victory and four league points. Next up is a home clash with Barnet Elizabethans.