Royston ease Herts/Middlesex 1 drop zone worries with Old Streetonians victory
- Credit: Archant
A dogged display at Old Streetonians saw Royston RFC ease their Herts/Middlesex 1 relegation fears with a 13-12 triumph on Saturday.
The weather conditions were poor with driving rain and high winds making the ground slick and the ball difficult to handle.
Ten minutes in, Royston found themselves in a good position with a line-out five metres from the Streetonians try-line and a well-rehearsed effort allowed Matt Muirhead to grab the first try.
Streetonians were not deterred and after a series of strong attacks, they found themselves in a similar position and they scored a converted try to take the lead.
The second half proved equally as tough, with Royston’s phase play gaining them a penalty, allowing Will Dacey to kick the three points.
However, the home side continued a determined attack, and passing the ball wide in continuous phases allowed them to snatch a second try.
Royston did not back down and with powerful determination, they attacked their opposition and were finally rewarded with another try, again scored by Muirhead, to squeeze into the lead at 13-12.
- 1 Herts sex offender assaulted victim while she slept
- 2 'Hooded thieves' stole three vehicles
- 3 Royston Town Council declares climate emergency
- 4 Royston Museum finally reopens following two-year closure
- 5 A505 long delays between Royston and M11 motorway at Duxford
- 6 Ben & Jerry's ice cream sold at Sainsbury's recalled due to health concerns
- 7 Former company boss fined after illegal waste dumped at quarry
- 8 Census data reveals Hertfordshire population boom over last decade
- 9 Teen attacked couple with glasses at Royston pub
- 10 Met Office weather: Yellow thunderstorm warning for East of England
The Old Street boys came back at Royston, but a determined defence denied the home side, giving Royston the victory and four league points. Next up is a home clash with Barnet Elizabethans.