Royston deserved better
Letchworth Ladies 2 Royston Ladies 2 ROYSTON travelled the short journey to play an extremely important game against league leaders Letchworth, knowing that a victory would edge them ever closer to second placed Saffron Walden. The crows were positive the
Letchworth Ladies 2 Royston Ladies 2
ROYSTON travelled the short journey to play an extremely important game against league leaders Letchworth, knowing that a victory would edge them ever closer to second placed Saffron Walden.
The crows were positive they could pull off a result and almost did, but the last five minutes of the clash saw the spoils shared despite Royston's dominance in a performance in which everyone did their bit.
Royston started strongly and put together some good attacking moves but were unable to break the deadlock because of some fine goalkeeping by their opponents.
You may also want to watch:
When Letchworth attacked, some outstanding play by goalkeeper Mel Harding and the defensive unit of Kerry Alexander, Vicki Bidwell, Martine Powley and player-of-the-match Harriet Shipley kept the hosts at bay.
It took 20 minutes for the first score of the game, and it came courtesy of goal machine Sophie Gathercole.
- 1 CCTV appeal after vehicles interfered with in Royston
- 2 Malaysian-style Fens home leaves Grand Designs viewers in awe
- 3 Royston man to stand trial for permitting production of cannabis
- 4 What's next for Thakeham development after Local Plan sites revealed?
- 5 Busy week for Royston firefighting crews as they keep people safe
- 6 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 7 Heath threatened with 'eyesore' borehole kiosks
- 8 Street singers lift people's spirits with town centre flash mob
- 9 King James Academy to continue as school sport hub for north east Hertfordshire
- 10 Strictly Come Dancing champion to Dial M for Murder in Cambridge
After some good build up play, the Royston attacked received a great pass and drove the ball into the D before hitting the ball straight into the net.
The lead wasn't to last long, though, and just moments later Letchworth got into Royston's D and an unfortunate deflected ball went up and over Harding and into the goal.
Royston carried on fighting and had the majority of possession and this paid off with a minute left in the first when Gathercole took take the ball and found Kirsty Penfold on the post who calmly puts the ball past the keeper to put Royston ahead.
Hoping to just hold onto the lead Royston played to keep the opposition away from their 25, and they managed a good job of it until the final six minutes when Letchworth were awarded three short corners in a row and scored from the third of them to deny Royston the win they deserved.
It was an unfortunate ending to a great game for Royston, who threatened Letchworth more than any other team so far this season.