Royston youngsters have to dig deep as comeback win secures Herts County title
- Credit: Archant
Royston Rugby Club’s U14s need all of their battling spirit as they overcame Cheshunt to win the Hertfordshire Rugby U14 Plate.
The 33-12 success over Cheshunt caps a wonderful season for the squad, one that has delighted their coaches.
The cup final, played at Hertford, was expected to be as tight as the game between the two sides earlier in the season but the opening quarter suggested it would be one-way traffic – and not in Royston’s favour.
They trailed 12-0 after 20 minutes and had struggled to get out of their 22. A yellow card did little to help the stress on the sidelines either.
However, the comeback started before half-time with a try from Rory Rees and a conversion by Luke Saltmarsh and after the break Royston were a changed side.
You may also want to watch:
They put their phases together and the forwards supplied plenty of quick ball to the backs who used it to full effect.
A hat-trick from Matthew Weimann and one more for Rees, together with three more conversions from Cody Ball completed the scoring.
- 1 Motorhome and car involved in A505 crash
- 2 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
- 3 Hotel on Duxford IWM site given go-ahead after council re-vote
- 4 Royston arson: Police renew appeal after flats fire
- 5 Say this secret phrase and get a free pint for the first game of the Euros
- 6 Have you visited the Orwell Clunch Pit? New sign tells of unique site's significance
- 7 Raise the roof! Church lead replaced two years on from theft
- 8 Sign up to village duathlon and raise funds for Home-Start
- 9 How do North East Herts and South Cambs fare in the latest boundary review proposals?
- 10 Do you think 'Freedom Day' should go ahead on June 21?
A spokeswoman for the club said: “This piece of silverware is no more than the boys deserve after an amazing season.
“The result reflects exactly what they are capable of.”