Royston celebrate two promotions!
All the latest news from Royston Hockey Club
ROYSTON Ladies’ First Team secured the league title on Saturday with a 4-1 win against Bishop’s Stortford IIs.
They needed at least a draw to be crowned champions of the Five Counties Premier Division and to gain East League hockey status. Sophie Gathercole scored two first half goals to put them in the driving seat. Stortford pulled one back early in the second half but goals from Ali Carroll and Kirsty McKenzie secured a deserved win.
Gathercole said after the match: “We have worked as a strong unit with each player fully committed and able to play every game. This has allowed us to work as a team and develop as a team to earn well deserved promotion. We’ve shown great team spirit on and off the field and I’d like to thank everyone for putting in so much effort and dedication throughout the season.”
You may also want to watch:
Elsewhere the Men’s First Team finally secured promotion from Division 3SW with a 7-2 win over Winchmore Hill & Enfield.
Goals from Owen Russell and Andy Drage put Royston two up within 10 minutes but they allowed their opponents to pull back level. But Dan Smith’s strike gave Royston the lead at half time. A fourth goal came from Graham Johnson-Mack, and Royston’s patience and hard work soon lead to number five coming from Josh Hughes.
- 1 Flasher who attacked officers appears in court
- 2 New bus and cycle shelters to help bring sustainable travel to town
- 3 Have you seen missing parrot Charlie?
- 4 Students' work featured in online art exhibition
- 5 Freedom Day: More than half of Herts residents welcome delay to lockdown easing
- 6 MBE is an incredible honour, says Lister nurse Lizzie
- 7 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
- 8 Royal Ascot: ones to watch on final day
- 9 Two lorry crash blocks part of A14 in Cambridgeshire
- 10 Comedy festival IS going ahead - with Covid-safe measures in place
Two further goals were scored from Sam Walker-Farrant and a deserved goal from Nick Hurd.