Royston celebrate Peanuts promotion
Royston swimmers made a splash on Saturday with an impressive display in the final round of the Herts Peanuts League securing promotion to Division Two. In their third and final gala of the season, the smallest club in the league with only 70 members, ha
Royston swimmers made a splash on Saturday with an impressive display in the final round of the Herts Peanuts League securing promotion to Division Two.
In their third and final gala of the season, the smallest club in the league with only 70 members, had everything to prove.
In their last two outings, Royston had come a close second and a hard earned third.
This time they recorded 23 personal bests, including Sophie Nottage in the under-13 freestyle, Joe Walsh in the under-13 butterfly, Thomas Harrington in the under-11 butterfly and Leah Parcell in the under-11 freestyle and breaststroke.
You may also want to watch:
As a result Royston grabbed five first place finishes, 13 second place finishes and 10 third place finishes.
The gala was decided when Royston beat their nearest rivals - Kings Langley and St Albans.
- 1 Flasher who attacked officers appears in court
- 2 New bus and cycle shelters to help bring sustainable travel to town
- 3 Students' work featured in online art exhibition
- 4 Have you seen missing parrot Charlie?
- 5 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
- 6 Freedom Day: More than half of Herts residents welcome delay to lockdown easing
- 7 Royal Ascot: ones to watch on final day
- 8 Comedy festival IS going ahead - with Covid-safe measures in place
- 9 MBE is an incredible honour, says Lister nurse Lizzie
- 10 Royston Kite Festival decision 'under review' as lockdown extended
However, the victory not only secured the third gala, but with points added from the previous outings, Royston were crowned overall division champions.
Head coach Tricia Dear said: "We may be the smallest club in our league, but our swimmers were determined to show just how good they are.
"There were some amazing performances, particularly for Lucy Huttlestone and Joseph Simons who were taking part in their first races. But I am extremely proud of them all."
Royston Swimming Club meets every Monday and Friday at Royston Leisure Centre. For more information please call David Clayson 01763 247438 or Ruth Hully on 01763 230959.