Royston celebrate Peanuts promotion
Royston swimmers made a splash on Saturday with an impressive display in the final round of the Herts Peanuts League securing promotion to Division Two. In their third and final gala of the season, the smallest club in the league with only 70 members, ha
Royston swimmers made a splash on Saturday with an impressive display in the final round of the Herts Peanuts League securing promotion to Division Two.
In their third and final gala of the season, the smallest club in the league with only 70 members, had everything to prove.
In their last two outings, Royston had come a close second and a hard earned third.
This time they recorded 23 personal bests, including Sophie Nottage in the under-13 freestyle, Joe Walsh in the under-13 butterfly, Thomas Harrington in the under-11 butterfly and Leah Parcell in the under-11 freestyle and breaststroke.
You may also want to watch:
As a result Royston grabbed five first place finishes, 13 second place finishes and 10 third place finishes.
The gala was decided when Royston beat their nearest rivals - Kings Langley and St Albans.
- 1 Lack of public transport blamed for collapse of £10.5m training centre
- 2 New app allows passengers to order bus to virtual stops
- 3 Teacher raises more than £3,000 with charity run in mother's memory
- 4 Spitfires and more... IWM Duxford prepares for 2021 Battle of Britain Air Show
- 5 Cambs and Essex academy trust wins prestigious award
- 6 Camera to be installed in village to address long-standing speeding woes
- 7 Get set for Strawberries & Creem Festival in the Cambridgeshire countryside
- 8 Hospitality Action Day: Some of your favourite local pubs, restaurants and cafés
- 9 Co-operation 'vital' in A505 Royston to Granta Park scheme
- 10 Exploring the medieval graffiti of North Herts' historic churches
However, the victory not only secured the third gala, but with points added from the previous outings, Royston were crowned overall division champions.
Head coach Tricia Dear said: "We may be the smallest club in our league, but our swimmers were determined to show just how good they are.
"There were some amazing performances, particularly for Lucy Huttlestone and Joseph Simons who were taking part in their first races. But I am extremely proud of them all."
Royston Swimming Club meets every Monday and Friday at Royston Leisure Centre. For more information please call David Clayson 01763 247438 or Ruth Hully on 01763 230959.