Royston Bowls Club round-up
ROYSTON Bowls Club enjoyed a good start to the week in the Champion of Champions tournament.
Eileen Hyde saw of her opponent, J Cormack from Berkhampsted, in only six ends when she threw in the towel after being 14-0 down.
Matt Coppen took only 14 ends to cross the line against D Bowler from Oak Hill BC in his Champion of Champions game. Coppen scored at a steady rate to clinch the game at 21 shots to Bowler’s 5.
In the National 55 and Over Men’s Pairs, Royston’s Mick O’Flanagan and Laurie Ramsay travelled to Potten End BC. It was a close game early on but the Royston duo nailed 3x3s which pushed them over the line with a 20-12 win.
It was another away game for Royston in the National Mixed Fours. Eileen Sheriff, Eileen Hyde, Don Sheriff and skip Stewart Brown had a comfortable win over their Buntingford opposition by 24 shots to 9.
Chalking up more success for Royston came from the National Two Fours team who were at home to Bushey BC. On rink three, Roger Davies, Don Sheriff, Laurie Ramsay and skip Stewart Brown had a good start and a good finish to their game. Scoring eight shots in the first three ends, and a big seven shots on the last, eased them passed the post at 20 shots to 12.
On rink four, Simon Lee, Will Martin, Roger Neville and skip Mick O’Flanagan pulverised their opponents by scoring 2x5’s and 2x4’s plus an assortment of 2’s to romp home to a 31-11 triumph.
- 1 Met Office weather: Yellow thunderstorm warning for East of England
- 2 William and Kate unveil their first official portrait at Fitzwilliam Museum
- 3 Wanted burglar caught in Grafton Centre with 'hoard of stolen goods'
- 4 A505 long delays between Royston and M11 motorway at Duxford
- 5 Bank of England warns people have 100 days to use old £20 and £50 notes
- 6 Duke and Duchess of Cambridge arrive in Newmarket for Cambs County Day
- 7 IN PICTURES: Wills and Kate visit Cambridgeshire's first County Day
- 8 Herts police officers shared rape 'jokes' and bestiality porn on WhatsApp
- 9 Pictures of Duxford Summer Air Show 2022 at IWM Duxford
- 10 Part of The Busway set for weekend closure with diversions near St Ives
More success followed for Royston in the County Inter-Club Team Championship, where they took on Three Horshoes BC. Stewart Brown’s rink of Brian Pepper, Keith Dockree and Laurie Ramsay, struggled for several ends early on, and were 10-7 down on end 10.
After a change in length of the jack, they didn’t look back and were pleased with a 24 shots to 13 win.
Peter Adams encouraged his team of Stan Whitehouse, Don Sheriff and Will Martin to only allow their opponents to score on five ends as they scampered away to an impressive 32 shots to 9 finish.
Not to be outdone, Matt Coppen galvanised his team of Simon Lee, Roger Davies and Mick O’Flanagan, to a 38 shots to 14 win and a spot in round three.
It was a hard game for Royston’s Colin Pawson and Derek Goodwin when they took on a pair from Howard Garden BC in the Letchworth & District Pairs.
Getting a good start they were 10-1 up after just six ends. The next six ends saw their opponents catch up and take the lead. Royston raised their game and came back to regain the lead and hold the Howard Garden pair, and at 20 ends they were both on 19 shots apiece.
Unfortunately it was Royston who dropped a one on this last end to lose by just one shot with the score at 19 shots to 20.