Royston Bowls Club round-up
Coppen wins Men’s Singles
ROYSTON Bowls Club competed in the Club Finals recently.
Matt Coppen faced veteran Lurie Ramsay in the Men’s Club Singles and came out on top with a 21-8 victory.
Eileen Hyde took on Yvonne Whitehouse in the Ladies Singles and Yvonne soon found herself trailing 17-5 and, despite a brief fight-back, Eileen won by 21 shots to 10.
The Men’s Pairs were dominated by Eddie Collins and Roger Davies who comfortably beat Peter Nightingale and Derek Goodwin 23-5 while in the Ladies Pairs, Maureen Gisby and Eileen Hyde played out a close match with Pat Smith and Linda O’Flanagan to eventually secure a 21-19 victory.
You may also want to watch:
Peter Adams and Stewart Brown faced each other in the Men’s Handicap Singles with both having their handicaps reduced to zero and Stewart just edged clear at the end to win 21-17.
The Ladies Over-55 Singles produced a 24-end marathon between Eileen Hyde and Cynthia Pepper. Up until the 15th end there was only one shot between them, but Eileen grabbed a four on the 17th and from then on edged away to take a 21-11 victory.
- 1 Heath threatened with 'eyesore' borehole kiosks
- 2 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 3 Royston man to stand trial for permitting production of cannabis
- 4 What's next for Thakeham development after Local Plan sites revealed?
- 5 Girl power and horse power prove a winning combination for Meldreth racing driver Lizzy
- 6 In pictures: The Battle of Britain Air Show 2021 at IWM Duxford
- 7 Riverdance's 25th anniversary show lifts the roof off Cambridge Corn Exchange
- 8 Award-winning CADS production at Royston Arts Festival
- 9 Mum of four sought by police over child neglect claims
- 10 Spitfires and more... IWM Duxford prepares for 2021 Battle of Britain Air Show
Laurie Ramsay and Colin Wilson played out a similarly tough contest in the Men’s Over-60 Singles which lasted 28 ends. However, it was Colin who snatched victory at the end with some delightful play to win 22-20.
Beryl Huckle beat Yvonne Whitehouse by two sets to one in the Ladies 7Up competition while in the men’s Handicapped Pairs Mark Evans and Will Martin secured a tense 23-18 victory over Roger Davies and Mike Randall.
Beryl Huckle took on club president Shirley Pawson in the Ladies Three Wood Handicap contest. Although Beryl scored a pleasing nine shots, it was the two threes gathered by Shirley during the match paved the way for her 13-9 triumph.
Laurie Ramsay beat Peter Adams in the men’s Jacklin Trophy by 12 shots to 11 while Pam Keating overcame Anne Martin 17-11 in the Ladies Two Wood final.
Stewart Brown had a narrow 2-1 win in the Men’s 7UP competition against Will Martin while in the Ladies Fixed Jack contest, Anne Martin defeated Gillian Fisk by 16 shots to 12 and finally Roy Hancock beat Ken Frostick in the Men’s Novice contest 21-14.