Royston Bowls Club round-up
ROYSTON BC travelled to Sawston BC recently for their Meldreth and District match and were beaten 74-54.
Royston won on one rink and drew another, but it was Sawston who claimed the upper hand with wins on two rinks of (25-17) and a decisive 29-6.
In the L&D Pairs, Royston’s Don Sheriff and Roger Neville won 23-8 against B Kelly and J Smith of the Willian BC.
George Lewis and Will Martin were also in action against T Saunders and M Wintrop of the Baldock club. It was close early on, but the Royston pair drifted away to win by 29 shots to 18.
In the North Herts Ladies Triples, Royston’s Beryl Huckle , Brenda Hollands, and Yvonne Whitehouse, playing away at Howard Gardens (Letchworth), just missed out on victory as they lost 14-13.
You may also want to watch:
There was more disappointment the following day for two of Royston’s teams. In the L&D Singles, Will Martin suffered a narrow 21-19 defeat at Baldock to M Parson, after he had made a fighting comeback in the second half of the game.
Also at Baldock was Brian Pepper, Stan Whitehouse, and skip Rodney Dean, who faced Alan Cross, Terry Saunders, and Brian Todd, in the L&D Triples.
- 1 Lack of public transport blamed for collapse of £10.5m training centre
- 2 Camera to be installed in village to address long-standing speeding woes
- 3 New app allows passengers to order bus to virtual stops
- 4 Co-operation 'vital' in A505 Royston to Granta Park scheme
- 5 Get set for Strawberries & Creem Festival in the Cambridgeshire countryside
- 6 Safety concerns continue in final days of travel hub consultation
- 7 Spitfires and more... IWM Duxford prepares for 2021 Battle of Britain Air Show
- 8 Exploring the medieval graffiti of North Herts' historic churches
- 9 Cambs and Essex academy trust wins prestigious award
- 10 Teacher raises more than £3,000 with charity run in mother's memory
The Royston trio trailed by a few shots for the entire game, and although they had a chance on the last end to collect four or five shots, they only managed a two and lost 15-13.
Colin Pawson and Derek Goodwin were away at Roebuck in the L&D Pairs against Martin Brackley and Paul Turner. This was a close game in which Royston found themselves four shots up on the 16th end. Unfortunately they then dropped a four and a five from which they never recovered, and lost 20-18.
The Royston Vets visited Whitethorn BC for a five rinks of mixed triples game and the home side eventually won 90-70.
In the North Herts Inter-Club League match against Howard Gardens, Royston achieved a very convincing 58-15 win. The rink of Roger Davies, Peter Fisk, Simon Lee, and skip Mick O’Flanagan had a win of 20 shots to 12. But Stan Whitehouse, Ron Whithear, Don Sheriff, and skip Peter Adams crushed their opponents 38-3.
Eileen Hyde, Linda O’Flanagan and Shirley Pawson had a comfortable 14-8 over their opponents from Baldock in the Ladies North Herts Triples.
Don Sheriff and Peter Adams, playing in the National 55 and Over Pairs, faced B Mills and C Thurstance from Hitchin Riverain BC and won 20-17.
Royston’s Matt Coppen continued his run in the Champion of Champions competition at Buntingford with a pleasing 21-13 win over Carl Frostick.