Royston Bowls Club round-up
ROYSTON Bowls Club were in a celebratory mood on Sunday, July 4 after a decisive victory over Garston BC in the County Inter Club Team Ten competition.
In the Singles, Matt Coppen was up against another national player, namely M Coles and ws narrowly beaten 21-18.
The pairs fielded Laurie Ramsay and Peter Adams, who lead from the start and never looked back, as they rolled over the line with the final score 24 shots to 15.
The triples of Stan Whitehouse, Simon Lee, and skip Mick O’Flanagan were woefully slow to get into gear, and found themselves 10-2 adrift after only eight ends. However, socks were pulled up in the second half of the game to eventually win 23-16. The fours was a much closer game up until end 14. At this point the Royston four of Brian Pepper, Terry Hollands, Will Martin and skip Don Sheriff, started their run for home, and scored at a steady pace to win 24-12.
It was County Pairs day on Wednesday, and Matt Coppen and Peter Adams were in action in the quarter finals. Their match was played on a neutral green at Townsend BC in St Albans, and their opponents were J Osborn and T Redford from Harpenden and the Royston pair just edged the win by 22-18.
You may also want to watch:
High hopes of progressing further in the Letchworth and District Fours were dashed for Royston’s Brian Pepper, Charles Gifford, Mike Randall and skip Rodney Dean when they met a four at the Whitethorn BC. on Wednesday. Their opponents, skipped by Paul Andrews, proved to be too strong and they just galloped away to pass the post with a scorching 28-4 win.
It was another County Singles Day on Thursday, and Royston’s Matt Coppen and Simon Lee were still in the hunt.
- 1 Royston Kite Festival decision 'under review' as lockdown extended
- 2 Two lorry crash blocks part of A14 in Cambridgeshire
- 3 Mayor ‘wantonly diverted’ £40m of housing cash
- 4 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
- 5 Motorhome and car involved in A505 crash
- 6 Hotel on Duxford IWM site given go-ahead after council re-vote
- 7 Village leader awarded BEM for community centre build and more
- 8 Could you help preserve ponds in Reed?
- 9 Community stalwart who led national effort to help navy veterans during pandemic receives BEM
- 10 Agricultural expert 'over the moon' with MBE
Playing at the Shire Park green, Coppen had a close win against Martin Coles from Garston BC, easing home 21-17.
Lee’s game was played at Welwyn Garden City BC and he was up against C Sheriff from Welwyn and District Bowls Club. This match went to 25 ends with Lee stumbling to victory in the last few ends 21-12 victory.
To finish off the week, Royston took on Comberton in the Meldreth and District League.
Royston were on top throughout and waltzed home with 95 shots and collecting all seven points against Comberton’s 39 shots and zero points.
The Royston Bowls Club will be on their Summer Tour from Friday until Monday.