Royston Bowls Club round-up
STEWART Brown and Eileen Hyde who started the week off on Monday by coasting to a 26-10 win in the National Mixed Pairs against E Rose and J Walker from the Norton Bowls Club at Letchworth. At home on Monday, it was Ladies v Gents, although the ladies bor
STEWART Brown and Eileen Hyde who started the week off on Monday by coasting to a 26-10 win in the National Mixed Pairs against E Rose and J Walker from the Norton Bowls Club at Letchworth.
At home on Monday, it was Ladies v Gents, although the ladies borrowed four men to bolster their team, but it was to no avail as the men won on four rinks and drew on one to record a 106-66 triumph.
On Thursday, May 6, Royston Vets, on home territory, took on a team from Howard Gardens, Letchworth, in a five rinks triples game. It was a closely contested match with rinks one, three, & four, proving tight affairs, while in the fifth rink Royston could not restrain the opposition from running away to a 21-8 victory.
In the end, it was good bowling by Eileen Sheriff, Yvonne and Stan Whitehouse, who produced a 28-10 win in the second rink which helped Royston secure a narrow 86-75 win against Howard Gardens.
You may also want to watch:
Several important competitions took place on Friday, which required Royston to field 16 players in two men's' teams in the National Two Fours.
Royston welcomed Letchworth Garden City in one contest in which Royston had a comfortable 45-31 victory. However, in the other game against Whitethorn, it was a much tighter scoreline. It was such a close game that the winner was not revealed until the very last end, when Whitethorn grabbed the shots required to win by 43 shots to 39.
- 1 Motorhome and car involved in A505 crash
- 2 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
- 3 Hotel on Duxford IWM site given go-ahead after council re-vote
- 4 Royston arson: Police renew appeal after flats fire
- 5 Say this secret phrase and get a free pint for the first game of the Euros
- 6 Have you visited the Orwell Clunch Pit? New sign tells of unique site's significance
- 7 Raise the roof! Church lead replaced two years on from theft
- 8 How do North East Herts and South Cambs fare in the latest boundary review proposals?
- 9 Sign up to village duathlon and raise funds for Home-Start
- 10 Do you think 'Freedom Day' should go ahead on June 21?
Six of Royston's ladies were also in action in the County Ladies Triples.
Shirley Pawson led her team of Joan Knights and Eileen Hyde to a 21 -13 victory over there opponents from Roebuck.
Playing away at Whitethorn, Brenda Hollands, Linda O'Flanagan, and skip Yvonne Whitehouse, just claimed success in a 15 shots to 11 game.
Playing away to Stevenage Town BC on Saturday in a match of five rinks of mixed triples, Royston only managed to win two rinks to allow Stevenage to claim the rest and seal a 70-61 defeat.