Royston Bowls Club round-up
STEWART Brown and Eileen Hyde who started the week off on Monday by coasting to a 26-10 win in the National Mixed Pairs against E Rose and J Walker from the Norton Bowls Club at Letchworth. At home on Monday, it was Ladies v Gents, although the ladies bor
STEWART Brown and Eileen Hyde who started the week off on Monday by coasting to a 26-10 win in the National Mixed Pairs against E Rose and J Walker from the Norton Bowls Club at Letchworth.
At home on Monday, it was Ladies v Gents, although the ladies borrowed four men to bolster their team, but it was to no avail as the men won on four rinks and drew on one to record a 106-66 triumph.
On Thursday, May 6, Royston Vets, on home territory, took on a team from Howard Gardens, Letchworth, in a five rinks triples game. It was a closely contested match with rinks one, three, & four, proving tight affairs, while in the fifth rink Royston could not restrain the opposition from running away to a 21-8 victory.
In the end, it was good bowling by Eileen Sheriff, Yvonne and Stan Whitehouse, who produced a 28-10 win in the second rink which helped Royston secure a narrow 86-75 win against Howard Gardens.
You may also want to watch:
Several important competitions took place on Friday, which required Royston to field 16 players in two men's' teams in the National Two Fours.
Royston welcomed Letchworth Garden City in one contest in which Royston had a comfortable 45-31 victory. However, in the other game against Whitethorn, it was a much tighter scoreline. It was such a close game that the winner was not revealed until the very last end, when Whitethorn grabbed the shots required to win by 43 shots to 39.
- 1 Barley Flower Tower to be cut into pieces!
- 2 14 Spitfires to take to the skies at IWM Duxford's 2021 Battle of Britain Air Show
- 3 Spitfires and more... IWM Duxford prepares for 2021 Battle of Britain Air Show
- 4 Get set for Strawberries & Creem Festival in the Cambridgeshire countryside
- 5 New app allows passengers to order bus to virtual stops
- 6 Camera to be installed in village to address long-standing speeding woes
- 7 Teacher raises more than £3,000 with charity run in mother's memory
- 8 Lack of public transport blamed for collapse of £10.5m training centre
- 9 Wellbeing gardens opened at Lister in memory of much-loved colleague Marilyn
- 10 Mum of four sought by police over child neglect claims
Six of Royston's ladies were also in action in the County Ladies Triples.
Shirley Pawson led her team of Joan Knights and Eileen Hyde to a 21 -13 victory over there opponents from Roebuck.
Playing away at Whitethorn, Brenda Hollands, Linda O'Flanagan, and skip Yvonne Whitehouse, just claimed success in a 15 shots to 11 game.
Playing away to Stevenage Town BC on Saturday in a match of five rinks of mixed triples, Royston only managed to win two rinks to allow Stevenage to claim the rest and seal a 70-61 defeat.