Royston Bowls Club round-up
A TEAM of four Royston ladies met a ladies team from Riverain BC recently in the Ladies County Fours.
It was a pleasing win for Royston as Beryl Huckle, Yvonne Whitehouse, Linda O’Flanagan, and skip Shirley Pawson triumphed 28-11.
In the L&D Men’s Pairs, Royston’s Will Martin and Peter Fisk were up against a strong pair from the Hitchin Town BC and managed a narrow 20-19 win.
Royston’s Mike Randall just lost out to Baldock’s Terry Saunders 21-19 in the County Singles played at Royston while Simon Lee comfortably won 21-3 while Peter Adams beat St Ippolyts’ Peter Bolton 21-6 in a County Singles match.
Royston were away to the Whitethorn B.C. to play a game against the ICL Life Members and scored wins in all rinks despite a scare from Don Ward, Stan Whitehouse and skip Eileen Hyde in rink two when they let a 13-2 lead slip but it mattered little as Royston won 92-59 in the end.
You may also want to watch:
In the Inter-Club Team Championship, Royston were away to Holwell and the match turned out to be extremely tight.
The Royston four on rink four, skipped by Mick O’Flanagan, just lost by two shots. A similar situation on rink three saw the Peter Adams team lose by just four shots. It was the Royston team on rink two, skipped by Matt Coppen, which produced a win of nine shots, just enough to ease Royston over the line by a mere three shots to claim a hard-fought victory.
- 1 A505 campaigner on safety improvement progress and wrong-way driver near-miss
- 2 Kite Festival cancelled after lockdown extension
- 3 Grandmother runs Royston in Blue 5k solo to raise money for charity
- 4 What is happening in our area for Armed Forces Day?
- 5 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
- 6 Limes Communal Rooms to become Bassingbourn's village hall
- 7 Nurses to meet with unvaccinated social care workers to address concerns
- 8 Man jailed after attacking victim with glass bottle in hotel room
- 9 Uber-style app could mean doorstep bus pick up
- 10 Network Rail seeks green light for Cambridge South station
On Saturday Royston sent a squad of six rinks to Datchworth to play a mixed friendly.
This was an unusual game as there were three rinks which were drawn. However, Royston did win on the other three rinks, which enabled them to claim a satisfying 115-96 victory..