Royston bounce back after Coton shock
ROYSTON came out on top in the in their Meldreth & District League clash, beating Chesterton convincingly 80-65. The win was much -needed after Royston went down to Coton in the league only days before, winning on only one rink. On the other three rinks
ROYSTON came out on top in the in their Meldreth & District League clash, beating Chesterton convincingly 80-65.
The win was much -needed after Royston went down to Coton in the league only days before, winning on only one rink.
On the other three rinks Royston went down by 17 shots as Coton secured a comfortable 73-59 win.
British Junior Singles Under-25 Champion Matt Coppen and Peter Adams took on Abson and Broad of Oak Hill in the County Pairs.
By the end of the 12th end, Coppen and Adams were leading 20-6.
Despite a brief Oak Hill fightback, the Royston pair held on to finish 26-14 winners.
- 1 Teenage moped rider seriously injured in crash
- 2 Stewart 'wasn't distressed and calmly answered questions' at scene of wife's death, paramedic tells court
- 3 Hero dog sniffs out cash for charity with golf ball mission
- 4 Murder trial told Ian Stewart was 'so cross' after sister-in-law called coroner
- 5 Ian Stewart's sons say 'devastated father was in tears at wife's death'
- 6 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most desirable villages
- 7 Tiffinity and Beyond: Boost for Melbourn business thanks to former BBC Dragon
- 8 Herts, camera, action! Turning film fantasy into reality with new screen tourism development programme
- 9 EastEnders' Adam Woodyatt and Laurie Brett reunited on stage in Looking Good Dead at Cambridge Arts Theatre
- 10 Sir Tom Jones to play Heritage Live concert at Audley End House & Gardens in Saffron Walden
The pair also beat Reid and Crosby of Baldock 27-17.
Elsewhere in the L&D pairs, Len Payne and Mick O'Flanagan met clubmates Sean and Dennis Young.
In a tight game that was not reflected in the scoreline, the Youngs ran out 26-9 winners.
Royston Vets took on Hitchin in a match that went to the wire.
In the end Hitchin managed to keep their nerve and got hom by eight shots, 74-66.
- In the third round of the Cambridge and District league Gilbert Cup, Melbourn beat Sawston 63-57.
This competition is played with two rinks at home and two away.
Rod Sell led the way at home with a seven-shot win to offset a six-shot defeat by Jim Gillings.
Muriel Cooper won away by five shots after playing a steady game, with Peter Dodds hanging on for a draw in a tight match to ensure an overall win by six shots.
The next round is the semi-final against Haddenham.
Melbourn 63 Sawston 57
(Melbourn names first) Rink One: S Sell, M Rogers, R Sell 22; M Dockerill, B Reed, E Jacobs 15. Rink Two: D Clark, A Howard, J Gillings 13; R Flack, R Burroughs, J Speed 19. Rink Three: Y Blows, J Dodds, M Cooper 17; L Whitman, M Binge, B Joy 12. Rink Four: B King, C Blows, P Dodds 11; T Jacobs, R Whitmore, S Jacobs 11.
Cambridge & District League
Melbourn 47 (0pts) Longstanton A 81 (7pts)
(Melbourn names first) Rink One: J Smith, M Wooding, E Brown 16; H Garner, A Waites, G Waites 17. Rink Two: S Earls, F Tyrell, D Wooding 11; M Edwards, R Murray, F Randell 31. Rink Three: J Howell, M Neville, P Ferris 12; J Evans, D Evans, P Woolnough 15. Rink Four: D Tyrell, S Neville, A Brown 8; L Davey, S Davey, J Spelzio 18.
Melbourn 56 (5pts)
University Press 51 (2pts)
(Melbourn names first) Rink One: J Rolph, D Wooding, P Dodds 15; Scrimshaw, G Emery, M Emery 9. Rink Two: B Harlow, J Baldwin, M Baldwin 16; J Wakelin, B Purkiss, A Watson 11. Rink Three: J Smith, S Gibson, P Ferris 12; B Harris, C Stephens, D Thomson 16. Rink Four: E Cooke, J Gibson, J Dodds 13; J Purkiss, B Taylor, G Finn 15.
Meldreth & District League
Melbourn 50 (0pts)
Barrington 80 (7pts)
(Melbourn names first) Rink One: B Harlow, R Morgan, A Howard 12; E Goodacre, T Fuller, T Mann 25. Rink Two: E Cooke, D Clark, M Rodgers 13; M Sewell, R Watson, B Sewell 14. Rink Three: S Sell, B King, R Sell 16; B Chapman, R Batchellor, M Harman 19. Rink Four: L Morgan, M Davey, K Howard 9, C North, J Raiola, M North 22.