Royston begin campaign with confident win
Royston V 39 Hornets IV 17 ROYSTON started off their campaign in the Turnford Winter league on Monday night. This being the first match of the season for many meant many of their players had not played after the long summer break. However this did not st
Royston V 39 Hornets IV 17
ROYSTON started off their campaign in the Turnford Winter league on Monday night.
This being the first match of the season for many meant many of their players had not played after the long summer break.
However this did not stop Royston coming out of the blocks at a steady pace with the defence of Pinner and White linking well to make some great interceptions.
You may also want to watch:
The second quarter saw a change in attack with Hume moving into attack and Laughlin coming on in defence and Royston began to pull away with some good feeding in from Hume and Rooney to the waiting shooters of Winser and Stimson.
Winser's superb movement in the circle saw her lose her defender on numerous occasions as she got in great positions to get the goals in.
- 1 Camera to be installed in village to address long-standing speeding woes
- 2 Co-operation 'vital' in A505 Royston to Granta Park scheme
- 3 Safety concerns continue in final days of travel hub consultation
- 4 Village school's annual fayre is a big hit
- 5 Margaret House residential home celebrates 50th anniversary milestone
- 6 Exploring the medieval graffiti of North Herts' historic churches
- 7 Mum of four sought by police over child neglect claims
- 8 Lack of public transport blamed for collapse of £10.5m training centre
- 9 Historic Mayflower train makes its way through Royston and Meldreth
- 10 Get set for Strawberries & Creem Festival in the Cambridgeshire countryside
The third quarter saw Harnell moved into shoot with Winser and Stimson in centre court and this was another move which saw Royston increase their lead.
With a decent lead under their belts the Royston side refused to sit back and in the fourth quarter worked their way to a resounding win.
Royston II 27 Icons II 20
Royston II started their season at Milton on Sunday with a victory over Icons II.
Both teams began slowly and were level after the first quarter but Royston crept ahead in the second and were narrowly in front at the half time whistle.
With the change of centre and wing attack, Jackie Huttlestone and Dawn Davies, the third quarter was evenly matched but with improved defensive changes from the Icons, Royston struggled to score.
With the last break, Royston made changes in both circles switching Begona Laughlin, Davina Biswell, Ellie Harnwell and Regan Rooney.
Royston then held every centre and broke Icons' centre several times and with fantastic interceptions from Laughlin and Biswell, and excellent centre court play from captain Vanessa Clark, alongside Huttlestone and Davies, Royston picked up their game and won the final quarter 9-1, taking the match 27-20.
Player-of-the-match: Ellie Harnwell.