Royston beat league leaders
Men’s Is complete excellent second half to the season
ROYSTON Hockey Club’s Men’s Is completed a fantastic second half of the season by beating league-leaders Potters Bar 3-2 on Saturday.
Potters Bar arrived at Bassingbourn Barracks knowing victory would give them the league title but Royston hadn’t lost a point at home since Christmas and they went into the match in confident mood looking to extend their unbeaten run.
The visitors took an early lead against the run of play from a short corner strike and preceded to take the game to Royston. A determined defence was the only thing that kept the away side out, with Royston ‘keeper Chris Markham becoming the biggest thorn in visitors’ side.
Their resilience paid off when Royston scored the equaliser after a counter –attack that was eventually finished off by Mike Preist.
Royston performed well after the break but fell behind for a second time when Nick Hurd deflected an effort into his own net.
Dan Smith hauled Royston back on level terms shortly afterwards and not long before the end Nick Ross grabbed the winner to cap an excellent match.
- 1 Ian Stewart murder trial: Killer 'restricted wife's breathing and fabricated epilepsy death'
- 2 Trial begins for killer accused of murdering wife
- 3 Meet team behind new Royston Town Party
- 4 Women trapped in vehicle after A10 crash
- 5 He strangled Rikki, stripped him and left his body flat on his back, Old Bailey told
- 6 Time-lapse video: Nightingale surge hub build at Lister Hospital
- 7 Downing Street and its South Cambs connections
- 8 Cancer nurse's warning over drop in cervical screening
- 9 Imperial War Museums launches first ever IWM Live event at Duxford this year
- 10 Gripping retelling of Blood Brothers coming to the ADC Theatre in Cambridge
The Men’s IIs drew 1-1 with West Herts IVs in a result which means they will have to wait until next week if they are to secure promotion.
West Herts took a second half lead from a penalty corner before Royston levelled in the same manner.
Unfortunately for Royston, they were denied what looked a clear penalty stroke in the dying moments which could have won them the match. As it stands a win next week will earn promotion, while a draw will only be necessary if results elsewhere go their way.
The Men’s IIIs earned a good 2-1 win against Stevenage IVs in Division 7SW thanks to goals from Craig Jackson and Jarrryd Bassett.
The win gives them a good chance of avoiding relegation after their rivals St Albans Citizens lost 3-1 to Royston Men’s IVs.
Nick Freeman scored two while Andy Drage got the other in what was a comfortable outing for Royston.
Finally, the Ladies IIs drew 2-2 with Shefford & Sandy with both of Royston’s goals coming from Ali Carroll.