Royston athletes excel at County Athletics Championships
A SELECT group of Royston athletes from Greneway and Meridian School made their way to Hemel Hempstead for the County Athletics Championships last Saturday.
All athletes involved had already performed to a high standard to make the necessary qualifying standards but would need to raise their games again.
All 10 athletes competed superbly in high-quality competition across 17 events and they all reached their respective finals. Seven new personal bests were achieved as well as two new school records on their way to a haul of nine medals.
Greneway’s Ed Shannon and Brooke Racher both won gold medals in the javelin event. Shannon reached a distance of 33.44 metres, a personal record and school record, while Racher reached 20.29m, a PB as well as making the all-time list.
Shannon also won bronze in the 100-metre sprint with a time of 13.8 seconds.
Lauren Freeman won the silver in the 100m with a time of 13.9secs.
Matt Houghton finished in 2 minutes and 26 seconds in the 800-metre race to win the silver medal while R Thomas (1,500m) and B Seabrook (javelin) both picked up bronze medals.
- 1 Goalkeeper with incurable brain tumour overwhelmed by fundraiser response
- 2 Ian Stewart murder trial: Diane 'suffered lack of oxygen for up to an hour'
- 3 Former nurse at Stevenage's Lister Hospital struck off
- 4 Melbourn Village College ready for Hastings battle in quarter-finals of national cup
- 5 Royston drama group CADS announces winner of 2022 Fred Sillence Award
- 6 Meldreth mental health cancer support charity appoints first patron
- 7 Fake Dyson Airwrap and Primark baby toy among recent recalled items
- 8 Hundreds in Herts fined for breaking lockdown rules
- 9 Patients required to continue wearing face coverings in healthcare settings
- 10 Murder trial told Ian Stewart was 'so cross' after sister-in-law called coroner
Meridian’s A Cooper won gold in the 300m with a time of 43.7secs while Cemal Ramadan took the bronze in the long jump with a distance of 5.42m.
Racher (javelin), Shannon (javelin), Houghton (800m) and Freeman (100m) have all been selected for the Inter-county Championships on July 31 for their efforts in this event.
Cooper has been selected for Hertfordshire in the English Schools’ Championships in July.