Royston athletes excel at County Athletics Championships
A SELECT group of Royston athletes from Greneway and Meridian School made their way to Hemel Hempstead for the County Athletics Championships last Saturday.
All athletes involved had already performed to a high standard to make the necessary qualifying standards but would need to raise their games again.
All 10 athletes competed superbly in high-quality competition across 17 events and they all reached their respective finals. Seven new personal bests were achieved as well as two new school records on their way to a haul of nine medals.
Greneway’s Ed Shannon and Brooke Racher both won gold medals in the javelin event. Shannon reached a distance of 33.44 metres, a personal record and school record, while Racher reached 20.29m, a PB as well as making the all-time list.
Shannon also won bronze in the 100-metre sprint with a time of 13.8 seconds.
You may also want to watch:
Lauren Freeman won the silver in the 100m with a time of 13.9secs.
Matt Houghton finished in 2 minutes and 26 seconds in the 800-metre race to win the silver medal while R Thomas (1,500m) and B Seabrook (javelin) both picked up bronze medals.
- 1 Village school's annual fayre is a big hit
- 2 Camera to be installed in village to address long-standing speeding woes
- 3 Co-operation 'vital' in A505 Royston to Granta Park scheme
- 4 Mum of four sought by police over child neglect claims
- 5 Margaret House residential home celebrates 50th anniversary milestone
- 6 Hunt the hearts at town trail to raise money for charity
- 7 Get set for Strawberries & Creem Festival in the Cambridgeshire countryside
- 8 Historic Mayflower train makes its way through Royston and Meldreth
- 9 Safety concerns continue in final days of travel hub consultation
- 10 Spitfires and more... IWM Duxford prepares for 2021 Battle of Britain Air Show
Meridian’s A Cooper won gold in the 300m with a time of 43.7secs while Cemal Ramadan took the bronze in the long jump with a distance of 5.42m.
Racher (javelin), Shannon (javelin), Houghton (800m) and Freeman (100m) have all been selected for the Inter-county Championships on July 31 for their efforts in this event.
Cooper has been selected for Hertfordshire in the English Schools’ Championships in July.