Royston athletes excel at Championships
PROMISING young athletes from Greneway and Meridian School came away from the recent North Herts Schools’ Athletics Championships with a successful haul of medals.
The event was held at Ridlins Stadium in Stevenage, and both schools came away with four team championship victories.
There were 18 gold medals, 12 silver, 14 bronze and plenty more top-six places and PBs in what was a highly-successful day for the Royston athletes.
Championship records were set by Eleanor Evans (Year 8 high jump), Sam Chapman (Year & girl’s javelin) and Sinead Thrussell (Year 8 shot-putt). Gus Rees, Justin Leavers and Cemal Ramadan achieved two gold medals apiece.
The Greneway/Meridian partnership once again demonstrated their ability to produce a highly successful team of competitors – putting talented athletes from Royston firmly on the map in this prestigious, high quality competition.
You may also want to watch:
Other competitions were won by excellent team performances from Hitchin Boys School, Hitchin Girls School, Fearnhil, Princess Helena College and Knights Templar schools.
Greneway’s assistant headteacher was overjoyed at the performances witnessed on the day.
- 1 Motorhome and car involved in A505 crash
- 2 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
- 3 Hotel on Duxford IWM site given go-ahead after council re-vote
- 4 Royston arson: Police renew appeal after flats fire
- 5 Ski trip interest 'peaks' at Melbourn Village College
- 6 Do you think 'Freedom Day' should go ahead on June 21?
- 7 Have you visited the Orwell Clunch Pit? New sign tells of unique site's significance
- 8 How do North East Herts and South Cambs fare in the latest boundary review proposals?
- 9 Outstanding day had by all at Streetfood Heroes event
- 10 Sign up to village duathlon and raise funds for Home-Start
He said: “Once more our talented athletes have impressed and represented Royston with distinction. Some of the individual and team performances today have been superb.”