Royston athletes excel at Championships
PROMISING young athletes from Greneway and Meridian School came away from the recent North Herts Schools’ Athletics Championships with a successful haul of medals.
The event was held at Ridlins Stadium in Stevenage, and both schools came away with four team championship victories.
There were 18 gold medals, 12 silver, 14 bronze and plenty more top-six places and PBs in what was a highly-successful day for the Royston athletes.
Championship records were set by Eleanor Evans (Year 8 high jump), Sam Chapman (Year & girl’s javelin) and Sinead Thrussell (Year 8 shot-putt). Gus Rees, Justin Leavers and Cemal Ramadan achieved two gold medals apiece.
The Greneway/Meridian partnership once again demonstrated their ability to produce a highly successful team of competitors – putting talented athletes from Royston firmly on the map in this prestigious, high quality competition.
Other competitions were won by excellent team performances from Hitchin Boys School, Hitchin Girls School, Fearnhil, Princess Helena College and Knights Templar schools.
Greneway’s assistant headteacher was overjoyed at the performances witnessed on the day.
- 1 Firefighters tackle large blaze in field in Guilden Morden
- 2 'Risk of injury' - Aldi recalls product due to safety fears
- 3 Let's go fly a kite as festival returns after two years
- 4 Herts' 'league of extraordinary farmers' come together to fight field fires
- 5 Author AJ Campbell to publish fourth novel
- 6 Melbourn's Dan Goodfellow hails 'extra-special' Commonwealth gold
- 7 9 things to do on a day trip to Hitchin, Hertfordshire
- 8 Residents concerned 140 homes plan could cause 'ecological catastrophe'
- 9 Biggest 'shooting star' meteor shower to peak this week
- 10 Cambridge Country Show returns with something for all the family
He said: “Once more our talented athletes have impressed and represented Royston with distinction. Some of the individual and team performances today have been superb.”