Royston and Harpenden share points after 2-2 draw
- Credit: Archant
Royston Hockey Club’s men kept their momentum going to keep in contention with the top sides in Division 3SW with a scrappy win against bottom of the league Harpenden 2nds.
Despite the 10 place difference in the sides, Harpenden came out of the blocks quickly.
Royston were on the back foot until Mike Priest managed to get Royston ahead and then bagged a further goal to take the home team into half-time 2-0 up.
By this time Harpenden were also down to 10 men after some inappropriate language from one of their players.
After some strong talking to by club coach Bob Biddlecombe, Royston came out strongly at the start of the second period.
You may also want to watch:
They scored two further goals from Nathan Sugden and captain and now top scorer Sam Walker Farrant.
Sitting back, and with Harpenden back up to strength, Royston allowed their opponents back into the game with a sloppy penalty conceded after a melee in the D.
- 1 Villagers launch bid to raise £200,000 for 14th-century church paintings
- 2 CCTV appeal after vehicles interfered with in Royston
- 3 Heath threatened with 'eyesore' borehole kiosks
- 4 Street singers lift people's spirits with town centre flash mob
- 5 Royston man to stand trial for permitting production of cannabis
- 6 King James Academy to continue as school sport hub for north east Hertfordshire
- 7 What's next for Thakeham development after Local Plan sites revealed?
- 8 Busy week for Royston firefighting crews as they keep people safe
- 9 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 10 Malaysian-style Fens home leaves Grand Designs viewers in awe
The game became disjointed and ugly with words and heavy tackles from players.
These incidents gave the umpires no choice but to send off two players, both Andy Drage and Matt Allsopp each for five minutes in the sin bin.
The last 10 minutes saw Royston settle again and on the final whistle a fifth goal was put away, but it was disallowed after it was touched above shoulder height from front man Lyndon Farmer.
Royston’s ladies were also in action against their Harpenden counterparts in a top of the table clash.
Royston went ahead within the first minute through a strike from Sophie Gathercole, leaving the league leaders chasing.
Harpenden came back hard and soon equalised, which Royston responded to through a second Gathercole goal.
Not to be outdone, Harpenden found an equaliser leaving the score at 2-2 at the end of the first half.
Despite chances from both teams in the second half neither were able to take the lead, meaning the two teams shared the points.
It was an excellent team effort from Royston, with Kirsty McKenzie, Gathercole and Ruth Askham sharing the player of the match title.
Men’s results: St Albans 4ths 3 Royston 2nds 0; Royston 3rds 0 Blueharts 5 2; MBDA 0 Royston 4ths 2.
Ladies’ results: Broxbourne 3rds 3 Royston 2nds 4; Royston 3rds 1 Shefford and Sandy 4ths 2; Royston 4ths 0 Saffron Walden 7ths 0.