Round-up: Royston’s hockey teams in action

Royston Hockey Club

Royston Hockey Club - Credit: Archant

Royston’s men turned around a 3-1 half-time deficit to win a seven-goal thriller at Berkhamsted.

Captain Sam Walker-Farrant’s solo strike was the only consolation from a poor first half, but his second and a Mike Welding brace completed the comeback, despite all seeming lost at the break.

The hosts boasted the best defensive record in the league and it looked like a tough afternoon would ensue for the Crows as they conceded early on.

A sweeping move down the right initiated a tap-in for a Berkhamsted forward at the back post.

Royston valiantly levelled through Walker-Farrant’s crisp finish off a short corner.

However, all their good work was undone as the hosts lashed two quick-fire goals, leaving the Crows on the ropes.

Royston regrouped and soon cut the disadvantage to one as Welding showed a poacher’s touch to score.

Most Read

Walker-Farrant then brought the game to a stalemate with an excellent sliding effort.

Crows keeper Craig Jackson denied Berkhamsted late on to seemingly secure a point, but Welding’s second, courtesy of Nathan Sugden’s third assist of the afternoon handed Royston a win.

There was no such rallying from Royston men’s 2nds as they lost 3-0 at home to Southgate Adelaide while the 3rds fared slightly better, sealing a goalless draw against the same opponent on the road.

Goals from Nick Freeman, Alex Marinkovic and Colin Bateman were enough for Royston 4ths to continue their winning weekend over Berkhamsted as they prevailed 3-0.

Meanwhile, Royston women’s 4ths picked up their first win of the season at Welwyn.

Sarah Farmer, Debbie Wilkinson and Leanne Kean helped the side to a 3-1 win.

No such luck for the 1sts as they lost 1-0 to Sudbury, only their second loss of the campaign.

Royston 2nds claimed a valuable point against Welwyn 2nds.

The home side looked strong in the opening half and were level at half- time through Denise Underwood’s strike.

The visitors struck first blood in the second half, but Royston dug in and Ruth Costen slotted home for the draw.