ROUND-UP: Royston Hockey Club ladies’ first team still in promotion hunt
- Credit: Archant
Royston Hockey Club ladies’ first team were the only winners over the weekend, hosting and beating Sudbury 1sts 3-1.
In need of a win to keep their promotion chances alive, Ali Carroll put them in a great position, finishing a team move just before half-time.
Carroll then notched her second minutes after the interval and Ruth Askham’s penalty flick trebled their advantage.
The visitors did grab a consolation but the mid-table side troubled Royston no further.
In contrast, Royston 2nds were supremely troubled away at Welwyn Garden City 2nds.
Despite the resounding 3-0 loss, there were positive signs for the visitors, who still remain in the hunt for promotion, sitting second in Division 2C.
The 4ths match at home to Welwyn Garden City 4ths was cancelled.
- 1 Goalkeeper with incurable brain tumour overwhelmed by fundraiser response
- 2 Ian Stewart murder trial: Diane 'suffered lack of oxygen for up to an hour'
- 3 Former nurse at Stevenage's Lister Hospital struck off
- 4 Melbourn Village College ready for Hastings battle in quarter-finals of national cup
- 5 Meldreth mental health cancer support charity appoints first patron
- 6 Royston drama group CADS announces winner of 2022 Fred Sillence Award
- 7 Fake Dyson Airwrap and Primark baby toy among recent recalled items
- 8 Hundreds in Herts fined for breaking lockdown rules
- 9 Patients required to continue wearing face coverings in healthcare settings
- 10 Murder trial told Ian Stewart was 'so cross' after sister-in-law called coroner
In the men’s matches, the first team were beaten 3-1 at home by division leaders Berkhamsted 1sts.
A own goal got Royston on the scoresheet, but the power of the visiting attack was too much.
The 1sts are safe from relegation so will play for pride in their final league match of the season.
The 2nds will not be proud of their performance, after succumbing to a 6-0 defeat at Southgate Adelaide 1sts.
A 10 minute period in the second half in which they conceded four goals was a major catalyst for the wretched scoreline.
In contrast, Southgate Adelaide 2nds did not have it all their own way as they drew 2-2 with Royston 3rds.
Royston 4ths capped off a mediocre week for the hockey club as they lost 4-0 to Berkhamsted 4ths.
Royston battled but allowed mistakes to creep in, handing the initiative, and inevitably the points, to the hosts.
Early Royston play looked promising through the midfield and the defence looked steady.
That was until the away side gave away two goals midway through the first half.
Nevertheless, Royston fought on into the second half, but having missed chances to get back into the game, they conceded two more goals.
The 4ths have two home games to attempt to get into the top five of Division 8SW.
They face off against Blueharts 6ths this Saturday before taking on Letchworth 5ths the following Saturday.