Rogers takes home the Presidents Trophy at Royston Golf Club
STEVE Rogers was victorious at Royston Golf Club at the weekend, winning the prestigious 36 hole Presidents Cup. Although only managing a nett 71 in his second round, the seven handicapper had held a slender lead of just one shot after his opening 65. Whi
STEVE Rogers was victorious at Royston Golf Club at the weekend, winning the prestigious 36 hole Presidents Cup.
Although only managing a nett 71 in his second round, the seven handicapper had held a slender lead of just one shot after his opening 65.
Whilst Rogers was a model of consistency his nearest challengers were falling away and eventually it was Glenn Bowles who took the runners-up spot with rounds of 67 and 74.
Junior James Smith has won the Gog Magog Junior Open. The three handicapper had two 73 rounds to secure his second Junior Open title of the year after winning at Thetford in April. Smith has been part of the successful scratch team at Royston who won their league this year and he has also been representing his county.
Stuart Phillips equalled his own course record on Saturday, winning the Royal British Legion Cup in the process.
His round of 63, seven under par, had just one blemish - a bogey on the ninth - but this was more than offset by eight birdies.
- 1 Herts sex offender assaulted victim while she slept
- 2 Royston Bloomsday marks 100th anniversary of James Joyce's novel
- 3 Former company boss fined after illegal waste dumped at quarry
- 4 Vehicles, greenhouse and fence 'smashed' in Royston
- 5 A505 long delays between Royston and M11 motorway at Duxford
- 6 Duke and Duchess of Cambridge view portrait of themselves at Fitzwilliam Museum
- 7 Property: How could the new laws for renters affect you?
- 8 Artists open up in record numbers for Cambridge Open Studios 2022
- 9 Pictures of Duxford Summer Air Show 2022 at IWM Duxford
- 10 Teen attacked couple with glasses at Royston pub
His 41 points gave him a one point victory over Chris Beaumont while Richard Lane was third with 39 points.
Lynn Barker on the ladies prize on countback from Linda Lakey and Claire Beaumont, with all three players finishing with 33 points.
Recent results: Junior 36 hole Cup winner Jordan Hardidge, second Daniel Smith, third Matt Barrett.
Junior Bogey: first Alex Brain (+5), second Matt Barrett (+5), third Robert Brain (+3) and fourth Adam Wright (+3).
Midweek Golfers Stableford: winner Graham West (40 points), second Ray Haw (40), third Keith Wood (39).
Single Stableford: winner Pete Prentice (41 points), second Ted Prestbury (40), third Steve de Fraine (39) and fourth Peter Rutter (39).