Rogers takes home the Presidents Trophy at Royston Golf Club
STEVE Rogers was victorious at Royston Golf Club at the weekend, winning the prestigious 36 hole Presidents Cup. Although only managing a nett 71 in his second round, the seven handicapper had held a slender lead of just one shot after his opening 65. Whi
STEVE Rogers was victorious at Royston Golf Club at the weekend, winning the prestigious 36 hole Presidents Cup.
Although only managing a nett 71 in his second round, the seven handicapper had held a slender lead of just one shot after his opening 65.
Whilst Rogers was a model of consistency his nearest challengers were falling away and eventually it was Glenn Bowles who took the runners-up spot with rounds of 67 and 74.
Junior James Smith has won the Gog Magog Junior Open. The three handicapper had two 73 rounds to secure his second Junior Open title of the year after winning at Thetford in April. Smith has been part of the successful scratch team at Royston who won their league this year and he has also been representing his county.
You may also want to watch:
Stuart Phillips equalled his own course record on Saturday, winning the Royal British Legion Cup in the process.
His round of 63, seven under par, had just one blemish - a bogey on the ninth - but this was more than offset by eight birdies.
- 1 Mum of four sought by police over child neglect claims
- 2 What's next for Thakeham development after Local Plan sites revealed?
- 3 In pictures: The Battle of Britain Air Show 2021 at IWM Duxford
- 4 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 5 Royston man to stand trial for permitting production of cannabis
- 6 Riverdance's 25th anniversary show lifts the roof off Cambridge Corn Exchange
- 7 Award-winning CADS production at Royston Arts Festival
- 8 Heath threatened with 'eyesore' borehole kiosks
- 9 Girl power and horse power prove a winning combination for Meldreth racing driver Lizzy
- 10 Charlie and Stan slapstick homage riffs on the pair's clowning skills at Cambridge Arts Theatre
His 41 points gave him a one point victory over Chris Beaumont while Richard Lane was third with 39 points.
Lynn Barker on the ladies prize on countback from Linda Lakey and Claire Beaumont, with all three players finishing with 33 points.
Recent results: Junior 36 hole Cup winner Jordan Hardidge, second Daniel Smith, third Matt Barrett.
Junior Bogey: first Alex Brain (+5), second Matt Barrett (+5), third Robert Brain (+3) and fourth Adam Wright (+3).
Midweek Golfers Stableford: winner Graham West (40 points), second Ray Haw (40), third Keith Wood (39).
Single Stableford: winner Pete Prentice (41 points), second Ted Prestbury (40), third Steve de Fraine (39) and fourth Peter Rutter (39).